Analysis of Media Bias

Discuss the various aspects of Bernard Goldberg's "Bias," the smash bestseller with all the inside baseball from one of their own! Discuss the various aspects of Arrogance, the 2nd NYT's bestseller.

Analysis of Media Bias

Unread postby eisinger » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:10 pm

I thought Mr. Goldberg and those reading this blog would be interested in an article I co-wrote titled "What Media Bias?" (Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics, 2007, Vol. 12). B. Goldberg and I had a pleasant exchange at a book reading in Washington DC a few years ago. It sparked two students of mine to test an assertion about labeling bias made by BG. Now, years later, the article is published.
eisinger

Analysis of Media Bias

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby Tiffany » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 am

That is interesting. :)

Can you tell us anything about your findings, or do we need to get hold of the Journal?
"If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water."
Tiffany
Mod Team

Labeling bias

Unread postby eisinger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm

The synopsis of the article is that labeling bias is not as pronounced as the charge. Labeling bias is when a reporter states, "The conservative senator from Utah, Orrin Hatch," but not "The liberal senator from Massachusetts, Ted Kennedy." The data reveal that there are, at times, some disproportionate labeling patterns, but not in a way for this author to describe it as constituting bias. As readers will see, conservatives are often labeled more frequently than liberals. Some of that labeling can be attributed to the 1994 elections, when the Republicans won the House. Also, when looking at the senators most frequently labeled, Paul Wellstone frequently 'wins' that contest.
eisinger

Unread postby MrSinatra » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:00 pm

are you trying to say that pointing out bias is somehow more "pronounced" then the actual bias itself?

tell me, how else is one to bring attention to it?
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Labeling bias

Unread postby eisinger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm

I am not. If one can gain access to the article, I advise relying on your close read of it, instead of my summary of it on this blog. I raise several questions, including the question of why journalists label at all.
eisinger

Unread postby MrSinatra » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:57 pm

SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Return to BIAS: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News, & ARROGANCE: Rescuing America From the Media Elite