E-Mail I received from the Winston Salem Journal's editor

Discuss the various aspects of Bernard Goldberg's "Bias," the smash bestseller with all the inside baseball from one of their own! Discuss the various aspects of Arrogance, the 2nd NYT's bestseller.

Unread postby paramedic434 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:28 pm

Mr. Hodgin, thanks for writing and for inquiring about your letter; I'm happy to discuss it with you.

It's not unusual for letters to take a week or more to make it into the paper. Some take longer than others due to fact-checking and other considerations, and not every letter we receive is actually printed; a variety of factors are in effect, most of them technical and practical.

Having said that, I chose not to print your letter mainly because it is what we call an "open letter," which, as a matter of policy, we don't print. We take "letters to the editor" pretty literally, and don't print letters that are written as if to other individuals. For the most part, your letter was written to Leonard Pitts, and while it's flattering to think that he may read the Winston-Salem Journal, I doubt such is the case.
I'm also reluctant to print your letter because you refer to a book, "Bias," with which I doubt most of our readers would be familiar. We generally don't print letters that refer to books that are out of the public consciousness, or not in the news, simply because, as a practical consideration, we in the editorial department may not be familiar enough with them to judge if they say what letter writers claim they say. I hope you understand, this is no personal reflection, but a matter of policy that applies to all. We have a limited staff and limited resources, and it's impossible to be familiar with everything our readers suggest to us.

I might also mention - and it's your right to express this opinion, it's not what I'd call a deal breaker, necessarily - but in most cases, columnists have their jobs because they are smarter, or at least better informed and more articulate, than most people, and whether liberal or conservative or whatever, Pitts is a columnist and his job is to share his opinion about matters. It seems to me that your letter condemns him for doing his job. You seem to be saying that because he thinks he's smart, he must be liberal, thus wrong. It's one thing to say you disagree with Pitts; it's another to say the fact that he has an opinion that differs from yours proves him wrong. It just doesn't make much sense.

Oh, I might also mention, we have a 200-word limit for letters, and if I remember correctly, I think yours exceeded that a little.

Aside from those factors, your letter was fine. If you'd care to work on it a bit, I'd be glad to consider another version.

Thanks again for writing; I hope to hear from you again.

Mick Scott
Editorial Department
Winston-Salem Journal
336-727-7359

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:26 am
To: WSJ_Letters
Subject: Fwd: Letter to the editor

I wrote this letter on June 17 and was wondering why it has not been published.

Best Regards

James T. Hodgin
Kernersville, NC
336 869-2007

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 17, 2006 2:27:08 PM EDT
To: letters@wsjournal.com
Subject: Letter to the editor

I agree with Leonard Pitts commentary about Ann Coulter Nasty as she wants to be because Ann Coulter did go over the top criticizing the nine eleven widows. Her comments were over the top and did diminish her point that when victims such as Cindy Sheehan and the nine eleven wives interject themselves in political debate does not give them a shield from political discourse both pro and con. Your comments and opinions are also open to debate Mr. Pitts. You stated in your piece that its easy to do what Coulter does. Just say the most outrageous thing in the most inflammatory way. Just give the mental cover to the small- minded, anti-intellectual strain of the electorate that recoils from complexity and incertitude. And when people call you on it, you blame the media. Well Mr. Pitts you just proved Bernard Goldberg author of Bias correct because your comments in your article show you think that you are smarter and better than people in the electorate that agree with Ann Coulter. Insulting this portion of the electorate only adds ammunition to their belief that many in the media are liberal. Perhaps you should read Bias, and learn to be more objective.

Best Regards

James T. Hodgin
Kernersville, NC
Best Regards

Paramedic434
paramedic434

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby TerryAnne » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:55 am

Nice! They don't want to print anything that will not educate their readers. Not to mention that they are all, apparently, narcissistic.

Score one for Mr. Goldberg!
Is a proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. :twisted:
TerryAnne
Media GOD!

Unread postby gman992 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:45 pm

What amazes me about the whole Ann Coulter debate is that she is using the same brazen attitude, the same insincerity, the same insensitivity, and the same in your face attitude that liberals are famous for. There is an old saying, don't dish it, if you can't take it.
gman992

Re: E-Mail I received from the Winston Salem Journal's editor

Unread postby ArielShaul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:02 am

The editor must really believe his job is to brainwash the public. I hope the 2008 election was the last one where the bias created the results. I studied the last election map on a county-by-county basis instead of just states. Almost every county that voted Democrat was the home of a liberal biased newspaper! This suggests that those newspapers are creating the news instead of reporting it.
ArielShaul
Media observer

Return to BIAS: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News, & ARROGANCE: Rescuing America From the Media Elite