Wow

Discuss the various aspects of Bernard Goldberg's "Bias," the smash bestseller with all the inside baseball from one of their own! Discuss the various aspects of Arrogance, the 2nd NYT's bestseller.

Wow

Unread postby ratmand » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:52 am

Bernard if your reading this I love your books! I have read 100 People who are screwing up America and Bias in that order.

I'm currently reading Arrogance and I just completed the mix and match chapter.

What floored me the most was George "Clowny's" quote.

"We live on an island. A giant big f bomb island. We don't understand that people actually get mad at us. We still think of ourselves in terms of WW2. It's not uncommon for us to say to France, 'Hey you'd still be speaking German if it wasn't for us.' The problem is the world has changed, and our involvement in these tiny little places is different than it was in 1941. It was a lot clearer then. We were attacked."

I'm sorry but crashing four planes, three in areas with a high population of civilians and the other a military target (but no less tragic) I think counts as an attack. Unless Mr. Clooney is into the S&M lifestyle, then I guess it was just a hard love nip.

I had to read that quote 5 times checking that what I was seeing was true. It's incredible how ignorant people can be when they have an ideology they endorse without thinking.

I love your books not because they agree with what I have known, but because they give a credible argument on how there is a liberal bias. In fact BIAS helped me see the liberal media in a whole new and sensible light. It has made me rethink whether or not my views are knee jerk or based on rational fact and I thank you for that. From what I remember I grew up in the 90's or as I call "The First Chidren of the PC" era.

The AIDS threat to everyone was especially taught, but my teachers did at least try to keep it rational by telling us how much spit it took for someone to contract AIDS (1 gallon btw), but with movies about a kid who had AIDS and had to tell his friends to telling us that if nothing is done by the year 2000 HALF the population would be infected, or 20% I can't remember exactly. But it was a huge amount. Anyways I should really put this in the BIAS board.
ratmand
Media observer

Wow

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wow

Unread postby Tiffany » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 am

ratmand wrote:The AIDS threat to everyone was especially taught, but my teachers did at least try to keep it rational by telling us how much spit it took for someone to contract AIDS (1 gallon btw), but with movies about a kid who had AIDS and had to tell his friends to telling us that if nothing is done by the year 2000 HALF the population would be infected, or 20% I can't remember exactly. But it was a huge amount. Anyways I should really put this in the BIAS board.

We had to watch that movie "Kids" in 8th grade, and I truly thought we'd all die from AIDS eventually.

And did you ever have to do the experiment with the dust in the gym? They'd get everyone together, like, hundreds of kids. Where they had the lights on, and you didn't know who was dusted, and you had to shake hands with as many people as you could, then they kill the lights and almost everyone "has it" with the glow-in-the-dark dust on their hands, but they tell you they only gave ten people the glow dust?

Man, that almost made me think it didn't matter if I practiced safe sex or not, that we were all gonna get it anyway and that resistance was futile. They were trying so hard to scare us with the risk that prevention became the second priority.
"If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water."
Tiffany
Mod Team

Hmm

Unread postby ratmand » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:08 pm

I think we did. It sounds familuar but I can't quite bring it up.

All I remember is that they were trying their hardest to scare the living crap out of us kids when all along it wasn't as scary.
ratmand
Media observer

Return to BIAS: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News, & ARROGANCE: Rescuing America From the Media Elite