HBO Trump and Scotland Golf

Place for comments, discussions, and debate on topics raised during Bernie's TV segments.

Unread postby wrdag » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Two things right from the start; I have been a huge fan of Bernie Goldberg and feel that his book Bias is one of the most influential books of our times. In general I love his work on HBO's sports show which I know is difficult given Gumbel's political slant. Second: I am totally nuetral on Trump for president.
Given all that I was shocked at what was an unfair hit piece on Trump in regards to his Scotland golf course. I've been over to play it and while it's not the greatest course in the world (nor is it the best in the area) the financial impact can not be denied for an area in Scotland that sees very few golf tourists. For those not aware of Scotland golf, the usual golf tourist is headed to St. Andrews and the nearly 25 other awesome courses in that southeast area. Old Course, New Course,Kingbarns, Muirfield, North Berwick are all in the top 50 worldwide and are basically miles apart. For those looking for more great golf than most will move to the Southwest part of Scotland where you find Turnberry ( just bought by Trump), Royal Troon and ancient Prestwick. For those rare adventurous types you move up to the Scottish Highlands to play the venerable Royal Dornoch my favorite course in the world. At no point did I mention traveling to the North east part of Scotland where Trump built Trump International. There is golf up there but its a rare person who have played the gems in the area that include Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, Murcur and now Trump International. I have played the area mostly to play the Donald's new course and to get another round in at the sublime Cruden Bay. Here is what we found. Royal Aberdeen has felt a 50% increase in outside play since Trump opened. Its relatively obscure neighbor Murcur reported a 75% jump in foreign visits since Trump International. At Cruden Bay we again heard that tee times booked by foreigners were up 50% and the course was employing local members to caddy for all these outsiders. Our caddy said he can now caddy everyday just about in bring in 100 Euro which was unheard of before the Trump course. I can't begin to tell you how obscure the location is for Cruden Bay and this extra money is an absolute gift from the heavens for the locals and the club.
I'm not about to argue that Trump is a bully and can be abrasive when he doesn't get his way but lets not get that in the way of the truth that the course he built delivered a lot of golf tourism and not just for his course. He told locals straight up that if they messed up his course with windmills that he would cancel all other plans he had for the area including hotel, homes and a second course. He simply delivered on his promise and has put his money in new projects like Turnbery in the south and Doonbeg a great Irish golf resort. You can't really make a judgement on all this without seeing a windmill up close. My first windmill took my breath away while driving in Scotland; like seeing Godzilla for the first time. They are huge beyond description thrown out in the middle of a field. It's not just Trump up in arms on this topic as near by Royal Aberdeen the sixth oldest course in the world and a Top #100 course awoke one morning to see a 218ft turbine just 40 feet from one of their tee boxes put up by a neighboring farm.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/315709 ... nt-turbine

The genius of Bias was to show what happens when "think-tank" thought takes over and we all assume the same thing. Bernie, as you described in your book on the famous Forbes Flat Tax story that you watched and felt was overly slanted please re-watch your HBO piece and make sure you didn't fall into the same trap. Trump is many things but he brought prosperity to an obscure part of the world and they did everything to stab him in the back for his efforts....you can't blame him for moving onto greener fairways and more open arms. Thats the type of rational business desicions that seems to be the root of his popularity.
wrdag

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to On TV