Comments on O'Reilly 12/20/13

Place for comments, discussions, and debate on topics raised during Bernie's TV segments.

Unread postby donprue1211 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm curious about the irrefutable evidence that gives Mr. Goldberg the level of confidence with which he boldly declares that the earth is as old as current evolutionary spin dictates rather than that which the Bible clearly and consistently lays out. I'm disappointed that Mr. Goldberg finds those of us who have come to the conclusion, based upon exhaustive study of all aspects of the issue, that the biblical account of creation and origins makes far more sense than the secular humanist "random chance over time" theory to be ignorant. I would be happy to engage Mr. Goldberg in a reasoned, mutually respectful discussion on this issue and its corollaries at any time and place of his choosing.
donprue1211

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Comments on O'Reilly 12/20/13

Unread postby beaucarr316 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Very well stated. Many people believe the Bible in it's entirety, not just the easy parts. Evolution, age of the earth/mankind. sin, etc. I am tired of being called ignorant by Mr. Goldberg because of my beliefs (which have come out of considerable research.) Not sure what he believes other than people like me are ignorant. I guess ignorant is better than arrogant.
beaucarr316

Unread postby Melstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am

I was VERY disappointed in Bernie's reply on The Oreilly Factor tonight. I thought Bernie was a thoughtful Jewish man who maybe had studied scripture....but I was in shock at his profound disrespect for scripture and most of all God....he said "I don't care what God says".....wow...Bernie. That was even more idiotic and stupid than what you acused Phil of being!
Melstar

Unread postby LITTLEDIZE » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:14 am

I took the time to sign up to this page just so I could make this comment. I never really like Mr. Goldburg but the comments he made on O'Rilley on Friday night were very sad. That is the way I have started to think of people as they continue to say hurtful things about Christians - and as a Christian I found what he said about the bible very hurtful. I don't think we have every said we hated gays - I think what we say is that we do not believe in their life style and as followers of Jesus we cannot accept it - however if that is the way they want to live/if that is the way they want to talk about us - so be it - but show us the same respect - let us have our beliefs and opinions - no one is asking you to go along with us. Well the good thing about freedom is now when "Bernie" comes on I can get a snack, or go to the bathroom or just turn down the TV but you can be assured I will not listen to what he has to say about anything.
Last edited by LITTLEDIZE on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LITTLEDIZE

Unread postby cherubsmom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 am

Mr. Goldberg, you were very rude tonight. I can't believe that you really believe "I don't care what God says . . . ." We can all have our opinions - but to throw off respect for God is unbelievable. You are a Jew aren't you. Same God as Christians worship. Both the Old Testament and New Testament have the same regard for homosexuals. IF there is a genetic cause - work on curing it. It is the practice of homosexuality that is wrong.
cherubsmom

Unread postby cherubsmom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:44 am

I just looked at the other commenters - all are new to this forum. Your words tonight were exceptionally out of line. Obviously, they were enough to rile those who passively accept what you say at other times.
cherubsmom

Unread postby gophers7x » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:41 am

Unless you are 4 1/2 billion years old Bernie, what you believe to be the age of our planet is a "theory". To say the comments you did regarding homosexuality, the age of the earth, and what God or Jesus says is both arrogant and ignorant.

I as a Christian believe the Holy Bible is the inspired word of God. That is my faith. To call it "ignorant" is an insult to me as a Christian. You have the right to insult people, and I have the rite to say you demonstrate the arrogance of the ignorant that is more often times displayed by those on MSNBC.

Here is a simple deductive thought for you to ponder; We both live in USA, largest percentage of people self described Christians, Christians follow Bible, Bible says Homosexuality is a sin. Check I Corinthians 6:9-10. So why is saying homosexuality is a sin ignorant? I like how Rick Warren explained it to Ann Curry that he has the urge to have sex with every good looking young girl he sees but he doesn't act on it because he knows it is wrong.

I as a Christian believe that we all sin all the time and my sins are just as bad as any, and I pray for forgiveness. But to start pushing Homosexual behavior as acceptable, (contrary to scripture) in my mind contradicts the Word of God, and threatens a persons eternal life. Eternal life to me is the most important thing there is. We are to love God above all, and he says "if you love Me keep my Commandments". So if we truly love our fellow man (the second greatest commandment) shouldn't we share God's word to help our fellow man achieve eternal life? The easy thing to do is say "do what you want. " But is that truly showing love if you believe they are on a dangerous path?

So my choice is to believe you or the Creator of EVERYTHING. So not to insult you Bernie, but I choose my Lord and Savior and I pray you come to know Christ as your Savior too.
gophers7x

Unread postby bco67 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 am

I have a question, what happens if God created the earth through the big bang and used the creation story allegorically? Would that mean that God didn't create the earth? Jesus was fond of using parables to teach people a lesson. Would it not be plausible that the story of creation was used to teach the important parts, eg. God created the world, man fell from grace, and needed a redeemer? If you think about it the Jewish people were insightful they new there was a "beginning", where most other cultures at the time did not have that understanding. Whether that beginning was a big bang or some other device, I am not sure that it negates that God created everything.
bco67

Unread postby fiddler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 am

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie.

Please learn a little about the Bible before you attempt to discuss theology in the future.
fiddler

Unread postby usedtoenjoybernie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:13 am

4.5 billion years old. Bernie, that was a whopper!

Your contempt for God and Christians last night was remarkable. Your comments are part and parcel of the Liberal's not-so-hidden agenda which is to deny that God exists and has absolute and complete control over your life. I don't know who showed greater ignorance, you or Bill O'Reilly. I pray that both of you would repent and follow Christ. The two of you owe the audience an apology for your insults and obvious lack of knowledge regarding scripture. Contrary to Bill's ridiculous argument and your hearty approval, 1 Corinthian's 6:9,10 couldn't be clearer about the punishment that awaits those that Paul mentions.

There are some very thoughtful and gracious comments posted here. You would be wise to remember that God will not be mocked. Repent and believe my friend.

If you find yourself in Scottsdale sometime look me up (your peeps have my info), we'll grab a beer, and I tell you all about my Savior.
usedtoenjoybernie

Unread postby gmak » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:11 am

Bernard,

Wanted to clear something up about Bible literalists and their "ignorant" beliefs.

You are correct. Many Christians, including Bible literalists, are ignorant, and willingly so (a reference to 2 Peter), of what the Truth in God's word tells us. Having filtered what they read through a preconcieved notion, they continue on in this ignorance making, in reality, God a deceiver and a perveyer of non-Truths, when He is the very personification of truth.

Not all Bible literalists hold the belief that the earth is only 6,000 or so years old. Those who do are known as Young-earth Creationists. But there are those (Old-earth Creationists) who believe that "In the beginning" ocurred billions of years ago, as the geological evidence shows; that the earth has been inhabited and seen death many times over as the fossil record exibits, and that the creation of our current "world" did take a literal 6 days, but ocurred at the boundary of the Pleistocene and Holocene epochs.

God is glorious, omnipotent, and a miraculous Creator, but He would not use deception to create a world that appears old, or send the light of the far distant stars here in one day, although I am sure He could.

To do more research search: Gap-theory, or geology and Genesis.I would post a link, but don't know if it is allowed.
gmak

Unread postby Hyacinth#2025 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Bernie, as The Assemblies of God:
WE BELIEVE...The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
Please learn to respect others by not calling us stupid.
Thank you.
Hyacinth#2025

Unread postby dtirailroad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Bernie the Bible clearly states in Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
There is no time line that can prove this is 6000 years old or 600 million years old. In the beginning is the only clue
By the way Phil Robertson merely pointed out several sins listed in the Bible including "homosexuality". He never made a personal attack on any particular person.
If you believe the Bible, it's a sin. All sin will keep you out of heaven unless you personally ask God for forgiveness. So I do not see why you have a problem here.
You either believe the Bible or you don't and we are all entitled to our beliefs. A&E was wrong to suspend Phil. He never used their program to voice his faith.
It was done at GQ.
dtirailroad

Unread postby dollarb23 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:47 pm

I usually enjoy the Goldberg sessions on The Factor. Last night I thought I was watching the 3 Amigos remake, 3 men pretending. Bernie (Steve Martin) was pretending to be a scientist since he knows the age of the earth and he is c bomb2 sure that he is right. He does not look 4.5 billion years old, not to mention that this number is heavily debated and in a state of constant flux both historically and presently among some highly credentialed people. Bill (Chevy Chase) was pretending to be a theologian as he kept quoting the words of Luke 6:37 as absolute and yet rejected 1 Corinthians as absolute. Poor Howard (Martin Short) he was just glad to be allowed to ride with Bernie and Bill, and he did not even seem to notice that they were intellectually riding over the cliff. All three seemed to prefer a Bible that resembles a buffet line. (only take what you like) What is the result of this way of thinking? Everyone writes their own Bible and we are all, Happy Happy Happy....NOT!
dollarb23

Unread postby jdb92126 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Right on the money regarding 1st Amendment. I appreciate Bernie's emphatic admonition that the "A&E TV vs. Duck Dynasty Phil" issue is NOT about the 1st Amendment. Like you I get very frustrated when a public controversy arises and pro/con advocates assert "it's a 1st Amendment issue." This erroneous assertion weakens actual, real arguments.
Last edited by jdb92126 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb92126

Next

Return to On TV