Re: Bernie's O'Reilly visit 02/6/2012

Place for comments, discussions, and debate on topics raised during Bernie's TV segments.

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 pm

This topic is more suitable for the "On TV" forum. The original post can now be seen and responded to over there.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bernie's stint on Fox in April

Unread postby Sojorner Tee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 am

Mr. Goldberg. I was never more amazed in my life to hear you say on Fox News (and I paraphrase) that it's as if black men had targets on their backs and the justice system is slanted against them. Then to imply that there are no more civil rights issues to be addessed which makes anyone engaged in such a dinosaur.
Well, If you want to announce to the world that racism is over, that's your perogative. But herewith are some "Facts" you will never hear on FOX News.

70 to 80 percent of all felonious rime is drug related. There are countless studies that show that whites engaged in the sale and use of illegal drugs as much or more than whites, but that blacks are five times more likely to be arrested and convicted for selling and using than whites.
In america, the war on drugs is a war on black and brown people.
Source:
Time Magazine's study via Healthland states: Black youth are arrested for drug crimes at a rate ten times higher than that of whites. But new research shows that young African Americans are actually less likely to use drugs and less likely to develop substance use disorders, compared to whites, Native Americans, Hispanics and people of mixed race.

“Our goal is to alert people to the burden of drug problems and also to how some of our concern about who has these problems may not be true,” says Dr. Dan Blazer, senior author of the study and a professor of psychiatry at Duke University. “There’s a perception among many individuals that African Americans as a group — regardless of socioeconomic status — tend to abuse or use drugs at higher rate and this [does not support] that.”
Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/s ... z1r2Pq5xTX

"The Drug Policy Alliance recently reported on rampant discrimination against people of color when when it comes to drug charges. Studies show that drug use is pretty even among the races, yet minorities are stopped and searched more than any other race. While African-Americans only compose 14 percent of the drug users in the United States they compose 37 percent of those arrested for drug offenses. The Drug Policy Alliance reports:"

Continuing, Mr. Goldberg: "The drug war has produced profoundly unequal outcomes across racial groups, manifested through racial discrimination by law enforcement and disproportionate drug war misery suffered by communities of color. Although rates of drug use and selling are comparable across racial lines, people of color are far more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, prosecuted, convicted and incarcerated for drug law violations than are whites. Higher arrest and incarceration rates for African Americans and Latinos are not reflective of increased prevalence of drug use or sales in these communities, but rather of a law enforcement focus on urban areas, on lower-income communities and on communities of color as well as inequitable treatment by the criminal justice system.

CDC: White People use more drugs than Blacks:
Mr. Goldberg,
According to the Centers for Disease Control, and Department of Health and Human Services, it is your children, and not those of the urban ghetto, who are most likely to use drugs. That's right: white high school students are seven times more likely than blacks to have used cocaine; eight times more likely to have smoked crack; ten times more likely to have used LSD and seven times more likely to have used heroin. In fact, there are more white high school students who have used crystal methamphetamine (the most addictive drug on the streets) than there are black students who smoke cigarettes.
What's more, white youth ages 12-17 are more likely to sell drugs: 34% more likely, in fact than their black counterparts. And it is white youth who are twice as likely to binge drink, and nearly twice as likely as blacks to drive drunk. And white males are twice as likely to bring a weapon to school as are black males
http://www.familyresource.com/lifestyles/ment ...

So Mr. Goldberg, I couldn't believe that you - deviating from your pre-Fox history I respected so much, would get on the air and make atrocious, mean-spirited, disparaging remarks about African Americans, saying they are bringing up racism that doesn't exist anymore, they are looking for relevence; they are seeking the spotlight, and all the other garbage - when the exact opposite of your statement is the fact of the matter.

Black men do indeed have a target on their backs, Mr. Goldberg. There are numerous other studies that prove that they are indeed five to ten times more likely to be targeted, arrested, and receive harsher sentences than whites who use and sell drugs at a similar per-capita rate - or more!

Conservatives yeah.
That is probably why conservstives want to dismantle the CDC,. it doesn't slant stats that feed the misperceptions you conservatives so love to perpetuate.

So, knowing all of those facts, Mr. Goldberg, the $64,000 question is,"Where are all the white people who are supposed to be in jail" Well, we don't know, because they don't have targets on their backs like black and brown people.

Truly disappointed in you. You used to come off as decent and tolerant. But now......

Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and now Bernard Goldberg, feeding the trough of angry white guys, telling them exactly what they want to hear; that minorities are the root of all their failures to capture the American dream. Some of you catch them via radio at hardhat lunchtime, and the rest of you get them while they sit in their Archie Bunker stratoloungers sipping brewskis and watching FOX slant all the news. Fair and Balanced?

Not on your life.

No, I don't ever expect to hear the facts I have presented on Fox. For they are true, and what would Fox want with true facts?

BTW,you do knowthat gerrymanderingto dilute African American voting distrists has been ithe news ltely, don't you?
And you do know that Black people in America today, in 2012,do not have the same voting rights as whites. That is one of the first things an American is supposed to have, but Blacks only have temporary voting status, that has to come up for a vote regularly. Black people have temporary status, whites have permanent status, yet you want to claim that denying blacks their civil rights is a fallacy; a thing of the past.

Never thought you would be engaged in such, Mr. Goldberg.
Sojorner Tee

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

S.T.:

I'll start off with your last statement: liberals have been accusing conservatives & Republicans of voter intimidation and disenfranchisement of blacks for years, and it's been consistently false. What is true is the only case of VI in recent memory was done by a black organization in favor of a black liberal, and that there is nothing liberals won't try, even if a trick, cheat, or crime, to deny the other side its rightful vote. Provide a credible link for your assertion, please.

As for the rest, it may well be true, though when time permits I'll need to look a little closer. Mainstream journalists have been known to do apples to oranges comparisons to shape stories a certain way.
But what I can say for sure: if its plight is to be improved, the black community presently bears a huge responsibility to make that happen, possibly the most responsibility. Whites didn't make the illegitimicy rate among blacks, especially black teens, skyrocket to the overwhelmingly worst in America. Whites didn't decide for blacks that rioting was a the proper reaction to anything. Whites don't commit the vast majority of homicides against blacks. The harm these factors cause them and society can't be overstated.

The dirty little secret is prominent democrats actually depend on blacks having it tough. They need bigotry, and absolutely thrive on hate. They are so desperate that they'll resort to any act, no matter how disgraceful, to damage opponents of their policies with it. Ever since voters elected Obama, who BTW isn't black, race relations have only been hurt.

Again, my post isn't a suggestion that you posted false info; until I read up I won't speak pro or con about it. I'm saying that stats that support liberal claims & policies all too often don't give the whole story, and even if it's 100% true as presented, there is far more to this than meets the eye.

As for this:
Sojorner Tee wrote:Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and now Bernard Goldberg, feeding the trough of angry white guys, telling them exactly what they want to hear; that minorities are the root of all their failures to capture the American dream. Some of you catch them via radio at hardhat lunchtime, and the rest of you get them while they sit in their Archie Bunker stratoloungers sipping brewskis and watching FOX slant all the news.

Free advice: don't claim others need enlightenment if you're going to post ignorant crap like this.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Unread postby WeaponOfMassInstruction » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Perhaps more illustrative than what ST includes is what ST excludes.

ST quotes from a Time magazine piece:

Time Magazine's study via Healthland states: Black youth are arrested for drug crimes at a rate ten times higher than that of whites. But new research shows that young African Americans are actually less likely to use drugs and less likely to develop substance use disorders, compared to whites, Native Americans, Hispanics and people of mixed race.

“Our goal is to alert people to the burden of drug problems and also to how some of our concern about who has these problems may not be true,” says Dr. Dan Blazer, senior author of the study and a professor of psychiatry at Duke University. “There’s a perception among many individuals that African Americans as a group — regardless of socioeconomic status — tend to abuse or use drugs at higher rate and this [does not support] that.”

But when you read the entireity of the Time piece, you learn this:

The study, which was published Monday in the Archives of General Psychiatry, controlled for variables like socioeconomic status because rates of severe drug problems tend to be greater amongst the poor. Despite this, Native American youth fared worst, with 15% having a substance use disorder, compared to 9.2% for people of mixed racial heritage, 9.0% for whites, 7.7% for Hispanics, 5% for African Americans and 3.5% for Asians and Pacific Islanders.

It is not known why rates for Native Americans were so elevated, but the category of substance use disorders does include alcoholism, a disorder for which this group is known to be at high risk. Marijuana and prescription opioid problems also occurred at higher rates in Native Americans.

I've got to wonder if taking alcohol out of the list of substances might alter those statistics quite a bit. Might the reason that blacks are busted more often is that harder drugs are their choice of intoxicants while whites prefer alcohol? Might be the case and might not, but it surely needed to be included in the study.

I can offer no opinion on the Family Resource article, as the link is to a page that "no longer exists". If another link which works can be provided, you may be assured that I will read it.
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
William F. Buckley, Jr.
WeaponOfMassInstruction
Mod Team

Return to On TV