D-Day June 6, 1944

A place to debate non-current political and media topics.

D-Day June 6, 1944

Unread postby Cap'n Billy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am

Lest we forget, today is the anniversary of a very close-run event that, if a few seemingly small facets of it had been different, would have had a much different result to the detriment of the final outcome. There are still a few veterans of that confict in our midst, including one featured on the second page of this story about a local Veterans' Day commemoration. I hope everyone here is as grateful to them as I am.
"Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised and often condemned. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating or is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty." - Robert Heinlein (Truncated to fit)
Cap'n Billy
Media GOD!

D-Day June 6, 1944

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: D-Day June 6, 1944

Unread postby tim.ned@gmail.com » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:01 pm

In honor of those that died that day, my wife and I made our donation today to the wounded warrior project organization. We know that the courage of those that served 56 years ago lives on through the service of our young stationed throughout the world today. Who continue to do their duty with many who have paid the supreme price. Thanks Capn, Ruds, Red and other posters here who served.
"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." Ronald Reagan
tim.ned@gmail.com
Media GOD!

Unread postby btorocco » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 pm

tim.ned@gmail.com wrote:In honor of those that died that day, my wife and I made our donation today to the wounded warrior project organization. We know that the courage of those that served 56 years ago lives on through the service of our young stationed throughout the world today. Who continue to do their duty with many who have paid the supreme price. Thanks Capn, Ruds, Red and other posters here who served.

And thank YOU, Tim and your wife for doing what you do. Cap, you're quite right, if Hitler had brought up those reserve divisions at Normandy the outcome of that conflict might have been a lot different.
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too." --English playwright and author W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
btorocco
Media GOD!

Unread postby jaybear_us » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Just a personal note from me. June 6, 1967.....the day I left the U.S. for Vietnam, an event from which I still haven't completely recovered.

And as an aside, it is also the anniversary of the 6 day israeli war.
jaybear_us
Media pundit

Unread postby tim.ned@gmail.com » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:18 pm

jaybear_us wrote:Just a personal note from me. June 6, 1967.....the day I left the U.S. for Vietnam, an event from which I still haven't completely recovered.

And as an aside, it is also the anniversary of the 6 day israeli war.

Jay, didn't realize you were a vet. Thank you my friend for your sacrifice and service.
"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." Ronald Reagan
tim.ned@gmail.com
Media GOD!

Unread postby washingtonamerica » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:46 pm

i too shall raise my glass high in their honor... cheers guys s. e.
washingtonamerica
Media observer

Unread postby charlie johnson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 pm

I think those who will fight for this country are learning that the powers that be consider them third rate citizen.When the attacks on the World Trade Buildings happened there was also a hit at the Pentagon. It was ignored for the most part.Those at the Pentagon were non essential But as those who have the greatest influence were in fear for their lives they were calling for the men of America to do their duty and fight. Once things began to level off and it looked safe here the attacks began against the troops and the enemies were given great respect. After this kind of experience it will be difficult to get a large force to fight for those who want to lead from the rear and command by battle experience learned on a TV screen.In WW2 the sacrifice was spread around fairly equally. Putin is aware of this. That is why he has become much bolder. He knows the USA can only be destroyed by internal enemies.There was a Trojan horse on the shores of the USA.The liberals found a rope and pulled it in.
charlie johnson
Media analyst

Unread postby charlie johnson » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a bunch of older kinfolks who was watching the camera.Some never made the trip back to see the film. I think the next war pictures won't be for a large audience.Maybe a few super clerks down in a mile deep bunker may review it to see how their plans went haywire. In WW2 we had all the machinery to make the equipment.In the three version we depend on imports from our enemies. It is said by the educated elite that the majority of those who fought in WW2 was uneducated.The next big one we expect our highest educated force to combat a bunch of hayseeds.How did we do in Iraq and Afghanistan with out high tech forces?Those guys were third grade.We are eliminating the best fighters from the recent wars to get politically correct forces.They wont fight but they may converse with the enemy at a table.Maybe Israel will save us.
charlie johnson
Media analyst

Return to Historical Issues