Do You Believe in Magic?

Do You Believe in Magic?

Unread postby chrismatt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 pm

The flaw in Bernie's logic (and it's a whopper) is his implicit assertion that there is a higher "IQ" (Ignorance Quotient) in those who oppose his conservative agenda. Most polls suggest just the opposite, at least when it comes to the Red State/Blue State divide. For example, polls have repeatedly shown that Obama supporters tend to be better educated than those who supported Romney, although I would not assert that a better education necessarily leads to better judgment.

However, Bernie's true cynicism shines through as he continues to attack the motivations and now the intelligence of his political opponents. On which side of the political fence are those who believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old? Who deny the validity of the Scientific Method and many of the profound discoveries made by Science in the last couple centuries? Who cling to age-old beliefs written by nomadic Middle Eastern tribesmen? Who, indeed, engage daily in truly "magical" thinking (as evidenced by their religious practices and beliefs)?

Bernie's basic thesis is that America's economy will collapse if we raise the tax rate a few percent on the wealthiest Americans; in effect, returning to the rates that existed under President Clinton. Further, he denigrates and brands as "dummies" those who believe in a balanced approach that includes both a modest increase in revenue and serious cuts in spending (for this is the true position of the majority of Americans). In so doing, Bernie has spotlighted himself on the political stage as the real Magician in this debate: one trying to deceive his audience with intellectual mirrors, polemical false bottoms and sleight of hand.
chrismatt
Media observer

Do You Believe in Magic?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do You Believe in Magic?

Unread postby flyphish56 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:47 pm

chrismatt wrote: a balanced approach that includes both a modest increase in revenue and serious cuts in spending (for this is the true position of the majority of Americans).

The brutal fact is that if the taxes proposed by Mr Obama are enacted they will provide the government with enough money to run at current spending levels for just over a week and a day. Yet there having been an implied willingness to finally put this on the table by the republicans the VERY BEST the dems have offered in the way of spending cuts is Harry Reid's absurd whine that the dems have already cut $1 billion and haven't gotten the credit they deserve.
Please do a little basic math and let me know what percentage of $16,000,000,000,000 this $1,000,000,000 represents and how that will impact the $86,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities looming just over the horizon.
And as you so boldly defend the "balanced approach" mantra (one I'lll gladly accept when I see some "balance") please explain to me how that fits in with Pelosi, Reid, et al stance that there can be NOTHING WHATSOEVER done to shore up the failing Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid programs.
And please, please, please don't include any drivle about how Obamanation Care will help, because even a rock lizard knows better than that at this point.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
George Washington
flyphish56
Media pundit

Unread postby chrismatt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:25 am

Good. That's 8 days closer to a solution. Are you suggesting even more revenue?

Elsewhere on this website, I have advocated for truly Draconian cuts in the federal budget, going beyond the measured but very significant cuts suggested by the Bowles-Simpson folks. I recently wrote:

"I completely agree with your call for dramatic spending reductions. For too long, interest groups from both parties, and especially the liberals, have been sucking so hard at the political teat that they've not only drained the cash cow of all its milk, but its blood and its sweat, too!

"As I've written here before, I believe Congress and the administration should not only adopt ALL of the Bowles-Simpson recommendations, but also go far beyond them. I support a long-term plan for a truly balanced budget and even eventual retirement of the National Debt.

"I am not holding my breath, however; I'm too busy holding my nose."

An all-compassing, grand compromise is not in the cards at this point. All we can hope for is a sensible agreement that opens the door for further compromises down the road.
chrismatt
Media observer

Unread postby flyphish56 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 pm

chrismatt wrote:Good. That's 8 days closer to a solution.

From my perspective that response is as devoid of intellect as Harry Reid wanting "a little credit" for the whopping $1billion he Claimes his senate has "already cut".

flyphish56 wrote:Please do a little basic math and let me know what percentage of $16,000,000,000,000 this $1,000,000,000 represents and how that will impact the $86,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities looming just over the horizon.

Please respond.

flyphish56 wrote:And as you so boldly defend the "balanced approach" mantra (one I'lll gladly accept when I see some "balance") please explain to me how that fits in with Pelosi, Reid, et al stance that there can be NOTHING WHATSOEVER done to shore up the failing Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid programs.

Please respond.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
George Washington
flyphish56
Media pundit

Return to Comment on Bernie's Columns