Santa Claus and the GOP Civil War

Unread postby chrismatt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm

As Newsweek columnist David Frum recently said, Republican leaders are "cowards" and the right-wing Republican base has been lied to by a "conservative entertainment complex." This election has made it clear that conservatives live in a self-imposed bubble, a cocoon, an "echo chamber." Many conservatives, by their very own nature, lack a healthy skepticism and intellectual curiosity--they are unable or unwilling to question their own dogmatic beliefs and stubbornly hold onto ideas in the face of mounting contrary evidence.

Their reaction to last week's election results is a case study in how people react when their cognitively dissonant ideas reach critical mass. Their bubble has burst, their cocoon has shattered, their echo chamber has been invaded by alien voices. The "Santa factor" facing many conservatives is not the feared open governmental checkbook (because that account is already extremely overdrawn). It is, instead, the shock of learning their Santa Claus does not exist at all.
chrismatt
Media observer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Santa Claus and the GOP Civil War

Unread postby October78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm

The conservative caller's comments on the Limbaugh show actually got worse then Bernie's point suggests. After making his statements about refusing to support a purist conservative or go along with anyone who reaches across the aisle, Rush asked the caller "even if the result is getting Obama?" And, the caller's answser was "yes".

The attitude of willfully allowing a pending disaster to occur because of staunch ideologic beliefs is not being principled; rather lacking in logic, fairness and understanding. In fact, such a person, imho, is complicit in creating and nurturing the Obama social model we all fear.
October78

Re: Santa Claus and the GOP Civil War

Unread postby flyphish56 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 am

I was never committed to Romney. I referred to him as the used car salesman. But the reality for me was that a crushed beer can was a better choice than Obama.
I predict the next four years( and likely many more) will be pure hell after the stupidity of November 6, 2012.
If I once hear an Obama supporter complain about his policies in the future I will likely end up in jail on an assault beef.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
George Washington
flyphish56
Media pundit

hi!

Unread postby juliarobert22 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 am

Interesting information. I like your topic. Thanks for sharing it.................
:naughty: :clap: :dance: :whistle: :think: :doh:
julia
juliarobert22

Return to Comment on Bernie's Columns