Keith Olbermann is the new Steve Allen

order now!

Unread postby Terry Walbert » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:33 pm

I really enjoyed A Slobbering Love Affair, but I have to pick a bone with Bernie Goldberg.

Contrary to what Bernie asserts, Keith Olbermann does not think he's the new Edward R. Murrow. Instead, he is trying to be the reincarnation of Steve Allen. How else do you explain the 1950s-retro glasses? Rather than doing serious news, Keith is yucking it up and spoofing the Main Stream Media. You see all the self-importance and serious lack of seriousness that we have learned to expect from Diane Sawyer, Chris Matthews, Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather et al. Except the Left doesn't get it, which makes it all the more enjoyable to Keith, who is laughing all the way to the bank after his new contract.

For those of you who may not remember Steve Allen, go to Youtube and check out some of the Man in the Street interviews.

There's one other thing I've noticed. Keith is trying to put the make on Rachel Madow. How else do you account for his screed after California's voters approved Proposition 8? Keith hopes that his performance as a sensitive metro sexual will get him in with Rachel...in like Flint.
Terry Walbert

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Keith Olbermann is the new Steve Allen

Unread postby WeaponOfMassInstruction » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm

In reverse order....

Rachel Maddow is a lesbian.

Ordinarily, this would seem to indicate that she would have no plutonic interest in Olbermann. However, since Olbermann is, as Ann Coulter put it, "a 57-year old woman", maybe Maddow >DOES< have the hots for old Keithy.

As for Olbermann being a pretender to Steve Allen's legacy...that's an insult to Allen. He was truly one of the greats. Olbermann is perhaps the stupidest person on cable television (except perhaps when Congress is in session and Barney Frank is speaking). Aleen might have been occasionally corny, but there was no doubt that there was at least some intellect at work- check out his interviews of celebs, pols and sports icons. Olbermann is a stupid, petty buffoon. I do not think him capable of the sort of satirical ability that you ascribe to him. Anyone that can make Jon Stewart look like MENSA material by comparison has to be occupying the low end of the brain food chain.
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
William F. Buckley, Jr.
WeaponOfMassInstruction
Mod Team

Unread postby Terry Walbert » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm

I know that Rachel Madow is a lesbian, but that makes her all the more attractive for Keith. I'm sure she knows what's on Olbermann's mind and is probably enjoying the tease.

I didn't intend to insult Steve Allen. What I wrote was that Keith "is trying to be the reincarnation of Steve Allen." Although Allen was a liberal in his times, the word meant an honest idealism and not the craziness and self-destructiveness of today.

Olbermann's problem is not his intelligence. No one could be as stupid as he pretends to be. I prefer to think of it as his stueck. It's just a shame that George Burns isn't around to play the straight man. (Say good night, Keith.)
Terry Walbert

Unread postby JKersting » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Yeah, um, Steve Allen was funny. Olbermann amuses himself and few others.

He annoyed me when he was on ESPN.
Jay Kersting
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " Reagan
"Now more than ever before,the people are responsible for the character of their Congress.If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."Garfield
JKersting
Media GOD!

Olbermann is worse than Steve Allen......

Unread postby DaddyDawg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

at least Steve Allen was often funny, but Olbermann is not. His political satire is so bitter and angry that most of it is not satire. In reality, Olbermann thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else that he probably thinks he is Nietzsche's idea of the Superman, or Ubermensch (Olbermann?!) in today's world. In reality, he's just a political hack doing a nightly hatchet job on conservatives without regard to any semblance of the truth.

As for as Olbermann following in the footsteps of Edward Murrow, about as close as he gets to Murrow would be by using Murrow's stock and trade ending.... Good night and good luck!" at the end of Olbermann's show. Murrow would turn over in his grave if he knew that Olbermann was invoking his name in any way since Olbermann's show is diametrically opposed to everything that Murrow stood for, which was hard hitting news based on investigative journalism that developed facts to illustrate the truth. Watch the movie "Good Night and Good Luck" so you can confirm this in Murrow's own words from a speech he gave near the end of his life. Olbermann is not a journalist but a wannabe political commentator who is nothing more than a zhlub given a job by NBC because no one else would be so stupid to demonstrate their ignorance night after night in the far left's diatribe against anything conservative or Republican.
DaddyDawg

Unread postby buddinganarchist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Ed Schultz is a complete boor. They should have signed Sam Seder.
buddinganarchist
Media observer

Unread postby Robert » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Please don't mention Steve Allen and Olbermann in the same sentence or compare them.
There is no comparing these two. Allen was a genius whose show was the fastest hour on TV when I was a kid. The "Man on the street" interviews had to be the funniest five or ten minutes on the air.
We did not get the Ed Sullivan show in my town in those no-cable days, but I beleve it was opposite Steve Allen and killed him in the ratings in the large audience areas. Too bad, Steve Allen's show was the funniest show on the air for a couple of years and probably inspired Rowan and Martin to develop Laugh In.
Robert

Return to A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media