Dates Confusion in "Slobbering Love Affair"

order now!

Unread postby cschaeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Perhaps someone on the forum, or perhaps Mr. Goldberg himself can clear up an issue I have with a timeline presented in "Slobbering Love Affair".

Beginning on page 68, in a discussion about the first, big national publication, Goldberg says that the discussion about Jeremiah Wright first appeared in the February 22, 2007 issue of "Rolling Stone". This story was "timed roughly to coincide with Obama's announcement that he was running for president". The story reported on "some of the inflammatory statements Wright had been making from the pulpit...."

Later on page 72, it says the story "did catch the attention of Obama and his handlers..... And since this was the very same Reverend Wright who was scheduled to give the public invocation for Obama's official declaration of his candidacy on February 10, 2007, something had to be done about this potential problem."

Ultimately, Wright was "disinvited" to make the invocation, prior to the announcement on February 10.

So my question is, if the story was in the February 22 edition of "Rolling Stone", how could Rev. Wright be taken off the agenda of the February 10 announcement?

Chuck Schaeffer
Maple City MI
cschaeff

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dates Confusion in "Slobbering Love Affair"

Unread postby MrSinatra » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:24 pm

i'm just guessing, but i'd assume rolling stone was fact checking and asking BHO about what they were going to say ahead of printing final copy.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby TerryAnne » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:48 pm

I can't be certain about that, as I can't remember when it was published about Wright in the press....and that it was during the time that I learned to not like Obama...so Feb seems early. I agree that this was likely a misprint with about a 2 month window. I think RS published it first, and Mr. G was trying to show that and how long it took the rest of the MSM to catch up. I finished the book the day after it came out and I did not catch this.
Is a proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. :twisted:
TerryAnne
Media GOD!

Unread postby GrafxMom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am

From wikipedia:
A magazine will usually have a date on the cover which often is later than the date it is actually published.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine

My guess is that the magazine was published and distributed prior to the publication date on its cover. However, I haven't been able to locate specific distribution dates for Rolling Stone Magazine.

FYI, here's the issue:
http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gall ... o/4/large/
God Bless America!
GrafxMom
Media pundit

Unread postby Ruds » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:49 am

GrafxMom wrote:From wikipedia:
A magazine will usually have a date on the cover which often is later than the date it is actually published.

My guess is that the magazine was published and distributed prior to the publication date on its cover. However, I haven't been able to locate specific distribution dates for Rolling Stone Magazine.

FYI, here's the issue:

I think I'll write my Biography? but where do I start? I mean Boot Camp, AIT and Posted to the far East for almost ten years, 2 years in Panama. Ruds:whistle:
I am a Renaissance man and a Native of the South West, Born of the tribe of Tarahumara, as wild as a South West slow hot wind. I am adventurous,ready to travel.... The key to my soul and if you can figure this out is, " I was born under a Silver Moon and I have the Soul of a Pirate"
Ruds
Media GOD!

Unread postby GrafxMom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Ruds wrote:
GrafxMom wrote:From wikipedia:

FYI, here's the issue:

I think I'll write my Biography? but where do I start? I mean Boot Camp, AIT and Posted to the far East for almost ten years, 2 years in Panama. Ruds:whistle:

Well, you better get crackin'. For some reason, I don't think you'll get it published in Rolling Stone Magazine. Perhaps the "Army Times" would be interested.
God Bless America!
GrafxMom
Media pundit

Unread postby MrSinatra » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:29 pm

hi,

i put your question to Bernie and he says "most magazines appear several weeks before the cover date."

so, i think thats the answer. what do you think?
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby GrafxMom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:21 pm

MrSinatra wrote:hi,

i put your question to Bernie and he says "most magazines appear several weeks before the cover date."

so, i think thats the answer. what do you think?

Glad to know that Bernie and I are on the same page ... er ... or shall I say cover page. :wink:

I recall receiving December Christmas issues of monthly magazine subscriptions in late October or early November. Rolling Stone Magazine is a bi-weekly publication so it makes sense that it would be published several weeks before the cover date.

I'm tempted to ask my brother-in-law how soon in advance he receives his issue of Rolling Stone Magazine, but he's a big lib so I'm afraid that might lead to a verbal altercation. :lol:
God Bless America!
GrafxMom
Media pundit

Unread postby Paul Q » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Slobbering Love Affair hits it out of the park! Goldberg reveals in what to this reader is an extended essay, every detail regarding the '08 campaign we never read in the mainstream press!
Paul Q

Return to A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media