1960 Series

Talk about anything that is off topic or non-political in here.

1960 Series

Unread postby btorocco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I realize it's late in the day but tonight on MLB network 8:00 PM EST they will air retouched footage, with interviews by Bob Costas and others, of the classic Game 7 of the 1960 Yankees/Pirates World Series. That home run was a knife through my heart and for a good five years everytime I heard the name Bill Mazeroski I wanted to punch someone. That's when I was a die hard fan, when baseball was baseball and not this horrific greed fest it (and all sports) has become. I urge all baseball fans to look out for the rebroadcast (or DVD?) and cherish the way the game was played when the game was great and when it was indeed the GAME that mattered.
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too." --English playwright and author W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
btorocco
Media GOD!

1960 Series

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 1960 Series

Unread postby btorocco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:10 am

I'll respond to my own post just this once to say I watched the broadcast and was delighted to find that MLB network showed the game in its entirety, much to my surprise. To convey my thoughts I think it's easier to just post an e-mail I sent to my favorite sportswriter and for anyone who buys the DVD, take note of the LACK of annoying chatter from the broadcast booth and the absence of steroid produced 'Hulk Hogans' on the field: Phil, I just finished watching one of the most wonderful TV broadcasts I've ever seen, thanks to you or I would have missed it, and I think you know what I'm talking about. I had a hard time choking back tears after comparing the great game to today's 'game', after seeing these perfect gentlemen of humility, dignity and grace, compared to today's greedy, egotistical buffoons. There was the great one, Roberto Clemente, making the simple scoop and toss of a foul ball into a thing of beauty, there was Vern Law who had to come a long way back to the plate after hitting a ball that turned foul; imagine, he actually ran hard instead of gawking at it! And you know I'd completely forgotten about the Hal Smith homer. Speaking of, he and Mazeroski didn't know their shots were home runs until they rounded second base! In 1960 I listened to the game as a rabid, die hard Yankee fan and when I heard the call of Mazeroski's homer it might have just as well been a knife plunged into my heart. I hated the Pirates for many years and could barely stand to hear Mazeroski's name mentioned. How different it was tonight. Tonight I wasn't a Yankee OR Pirate fan, I was a BASEBALL fan, once again after all these years, cheering and applauding both these fine teams, and what a great, great feeling it was. There were so many other things, Phil, the stadium that didn't look like a NASCAR track, the civility of the Pittsburgh fans applauding Tony Kubek as he left the field and can the great game have a better ambassador than soft-spoken Bobby Richardson. Just seeing him again was worth watching the broadcast. To the 1960 Yanks and Bucs, you were the true greats of the game, I salute each and every one of you and thank you for being such an important and unforgettable part of my childhood. Take a bow, gentlemen, those of you who are still with us and let us never forget those boys of summer who are not, in the hope that the game they played so honestly and passionately may one day return to its former greatness. Thank you again, Phil, for the heads-up about this show. It was one of the best times I've spent in front of the TV.
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too." --English playwright and author W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
btorocco
Media GOD!

Unread postby THEBIGBEAR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm

When you posted this, a month ago, I was surfing the internet, came to this site, and what did I have on my TV - the 1960 World Series game 7, quite ironic. I share in your enjoyment of this rebroadcast as I am originally from Pittsburgh (I live in California now.) Even though the announcers said it was being broadcast in color, we saw it how most people saw it, in black and white. It was so nice to see the players, Mantle, Clemente, Maris, Virdon just to name a few (notice I didn’t use the name you don’t want to hear.)

The drama of that game, particularly the last two innings is simply spectacular, a must viewing experience for any baseball fan, even former fans like myself.
THEBIGBEAR
Media observer

Unread postby btorocco » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 am

THEBIGBEAR wrote:When you posted this, a month ago, I was surfing the internet, came to this site, and what did I have on my TV - the 1960 World Series game 7, quite ironic. I share in your enjoyment of this rebroadcast as I am originally from Pittsburgh (I live in California now.) Even though the announcers said it was being broadcast in color, we saw it how most people saw it, in black and white. It was so nice to see the players, Mantle, Clemente, Maris, Virdon just to name a few (notice I didn’t use the name you don’t want to hear.)The drama of that game, particularly the last two innings is simply spectacular, a must viewing experience for any baseball fan, even former fans like myself.

Thank you for sharing your feelings, sir, and BTW it's OK to say Mazeroski's name, I actually like the man now! :) And get this, World Series games were actually played in the afternoon, I remember running home from school full speed all the way to watch the Yanks play the LA Dodgers. No one EVER had to ask "hey who won last night, I fell asleep".
btorocco
Media GOD!

Return to Anything Else Non-Political