Veterans Day November 11th, 2010

Talk about anything that is off topic or non-political in here.

Unread postby Cap'n Billy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 am

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank
check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount
of “up to and including My Life.”

This is one of the most, if not THE most, important holidays of the year in this poster's opinion. May I
humbly suggest that we all use this holiday to attend an event recognizing the service of our veterans as
well as those who are currently serving.

I would also like to recognize our recent forum members who have served in the current conflicts such as
Cortese, Red, TerryAnne, rendezvouswithdestiny and others whose names I couldn't locate via a search
of previous postings. If anyone remembers others please mention them in the replies, and I will edit this
post accordingly.

Here's a video commemorating their service.

Addendum: Decided to add this picture of one of my best friends, although he lives on the other side of the Continent from me. The
picture on the left is a recent one of him in his WW II uniform, which he still wears at various functions and events from time to time
and the right side of the picture depicts some of his duties in that war:
I flew with him at the airline where we were employed when he was an "old" 40-something Captain and I was a young 20-something
Co-pilot and we've been friends ever since.

A true American hero.

Billy Rawl
AO2 USN
A1C USAF
CAPT USAF
Cap'n Billy
Media GOD!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Veterans Day November 11th, 2010

Unread postby flyphish56 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 am

Hand Salute!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
George Washington
flyphish56
Media pundit

Unread postby btorocco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:40 pm

flyphish56 wrote:Hand Salute!

Same here! I hope everyone is enjoying their Veteran's Day. As for myself, I just washed and waxed my brand new Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track and plan to take those 308 screaming horses for a little night drive. Beats the hell outta TV. Oh I almost forgot to offer (although I'm a vet but was lucky enough to avoid combat) a special note of thanks to all U.S. veterans with special reverence for Cap's friend and all those (mostly gone now) young, brave, heroic men (my recently departed dad was one) who helped make this little joy ride possible and, with tears in my eyes, I salute you all. Happy Veteran's Day, everyone! Bob Sarrocco U.S. Army 1971-74
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too." --English playwright and author W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
btorocco
Media GOD!

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 pm

btorocco wrote:As for myself, I just washed and waxed my brand new Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track and plan to take those 308 screaming horses for a little night drive.

Probably the same model I've been watching on the Veterans Day Burn Notice marathon, not a bad product placement IMO.

As for the actual topic, the words "thank you" seem almost like a chintzy way to express proper appreciation for the work of military veterans. It is truly a humbling and daunting task to comprehend just what our nation's defenders went through for us.

Thank 'em when you meet 'em, and love & respect the country, the ideal they worked so hard to protect.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Unread postby btorocco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Jeffreydan wrote: As for the actual topic, the words "thank you" seem almost like a chintzy way to express proper appreciation for the work of military veterans. It is truly a humbling and daunting task to comprehend just what our nation's defenders went through for us.

Quite right, JD. That's why I prefer the salute, which, especially when it comes from the heart, is the highest honor you can give a soldier, or anyone else who deserves one. Needless to say the current CinC will not be getting mine.
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too." --English playwright and author W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
btorocco
Media GOD!

Unread postby btorocco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Jeffreydan wrote:
btorocco wrote:As for myself, I just washed and waxed my brand new Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track and plan to take those 308 screaming horses for a little night drive.

Probably the same model I've been watching on the Veterans Day Burn Notice marathon, not a bad product placement IMO.

I dunno, Jeff. I watched a little of the show and did see an ad for the Hyundai Sonata, which is a nice car but more suited to petunias driving grandma to church on Sunday. The Coupe was built to eat G37s for breakfast and certainly can, so I'm told. I do not race, but this is a machine for those who love to drive and that's me. Should have bought a car like this a long time ago, but then again I couldn't afford one. OK correction- saw the ad again it's for the Sonata Turbo (new model) which has some balls but still she ain't no 3.8 Coupe. Maybe the petunias can take their kids to little league with it.
btorocco
Media GOD!

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:42 am

btorocco wrote:
Jeffreydan wrote:Probably the same model I've been watching on the Veterans Day Burn Notice marathon, not a bad product placement IMO.

I dunno, Jeff. I watched a little of the show and did see an ad for the Hyundai Sonata, which is a nice car but more suited to petunias driving grandma to church on Sunday.
I was referring to the one IN the show, the one owned by the Fiona character, the one that has become an incredibly glaring example of product placement.

Everyone please excuse my tangentifying this important thread, and let's start up another thread if this discussion remains of interest. I could go on, as I am wont to do.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Return to Anything Else Non-Political