En Ingles, Por Favor

order now!

En Ingles, Por Favor

Unread postby stlcardsfan06 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Bernard, in your new book Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right in the chapter "En Ingles, Por Favor," you mention that your daughter Katherine was ostricized for saying that immigrants to this country ought to learn to speak English. As a customer service representative for a money transfering service, I completely agree with her. I probably take at least ten calls a day from people who can only speak Spanish. If a person is 70 years old when they come here, I can understand why they may have problems learning English. However, most of these people are young people who could learn English if they wanted to. When I walk into Home Depot in St. Louis and see signs in both English and Spanish, it makes me realize we have rewarded people for what is basically a lazy behavior. If I moved to France, I would rightly be expected to make every effort to learn French...not the other way around. It is not unreasonable for us to expect the same. If someone who is 20 years old can't get a job in America because they won't speak English in public, too damned bad. Your daughter, it would appear, has been given the curse of common sense. Please tell her that if she decides on a career in politics, she has at least one guaranteed vote from me.
stlcardsfan06

En Ingles, Por Favor

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost Its Mind and the Other Lost Its Nerve