passion of the left

order now!

passion of the left

Unread postby anton823 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Mel Gibson.....Mel Gibson....Mel Gibson

I often wonder how much this man must drive Hollywood crazy.

He is a devout Catholic, and I do believe he received a calling from God to do the Passion of the Christ.

I believe he had, to some small measure, had to endure the criticism of his peers and secularists when he made this film.

I recommend all people regardless of Christian denomination to see this movie at least once.(Once was all for me!)

The film is powerful because it endeavors to follow the scriptures......also, I don't think anyone who professes to know Christ as his savior, did not walk out of the film with a greater appreciation of his sacrifice for us....no other film has portrayed that sacrifice as powerfully as this film does. Also...his portrayal of the devil as tempting, beautiful, and androgynous was extremely thought provoking....Perhaps just like the devil would be...
anton823

passion of the left

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby Rick R. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 pm

And Bernard, you missed out on the real reason they scream so loudly on him.

It's simple, and you touch on it slightly. The film "The Passion of the Christ" was the story of the death of the Lord Jesus Christ, told as per Gibson's serious take on Scripture. Mel did so without making Him sleep with Mary Magdalene (DaVinci Code, Last Temptation) or making Him gay, like some bizarre liberal play which makes the claim. So, by telling a conservative story, telling the central events of the Christian faith without irony or insult to those of us who believe, he did something unforgivable.

This, like Fox Derangement Syndrome, was the formation of Gibson Derangement Syndrome. How dare someone have a non-liberal viewpoint? They were sooo thrilled to see him fall.

I make no apologies for his drunken behaviour or statements. They were wrong. But like you said, he apologized. But in combo with the film, it was another example of "See, those conservatives are all like that."
Rick R.
Media observer

Unread postby TerryAnne » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Rick
You shouldn't have to make apologies for Mr. Gibson's behavior. It just goes to show that we are all human, and have moments of weakness. I know that Christians are always held to a higher standard in this country (I joke with people here in DC that I could get less of a reaction from people if I told them that I am a devil worshiper (not true...I'm Southern Baptist) than when I tell them that I'm Conservative...but I digress)...but those who hold judge and jury to our behaior when they themselves do the same thing - or wish to do the same thing - have far more to worry about.
Is a proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. :twisted:
TerryAnne
Media GOD!

Unread postby steve1633 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:59 pm

how does hollywood hate on mel gibson? Sure after he got arrested for DUI and supposedly started hollering about how the jews caused all the wars the establishment was none too pleased, after all jews are supposed to run hollywood plus nobody likes when one of their own makes an ass of themselves.
steve1633
Media GOD!

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:36 pm

I haven't seen enough to believe that Gibson is "hated" by Hollywood.
By and large he still appears to be a major player there, but TPOTC may have caused many of his peers to like him a bit less. It was no secret that he was a devout Catholic and a family man, but I'd venture a guess that his peers didn't think he'd go so far as to produce a movie like TPOTC. His run-in with LAPD could only reinforce the disapproval the Hollywood crowd felt since he made the movie.
I looked at the Oscars that year as another sign of Hollywood's disrespect for Gibson's values. He made a film that had to be one of the most difficult to make that year, did it incredibly well by objective standards, and it resulted in huge box office, yet it got microscopic academy recognition. Knowing that the Oscar show is mostly an exhibition of lefties patting the backs of other lefties for their left-wing work, TPOTC's major snub wasn't a surprise.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Unread postby steve1633 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:24 pm

the oscars are mostly about making sure that the bar is never set to high for other hollywood movies. it's not about ideology its just about making sure that nothing that deviates too far from the standard hollywood junk is acknowledged, that would risk creating a fan base with a higher standard who would be less likely to swallow the trash. If anything, passion didn't get recognition because it was a real movie that didn't just follow one of the standard hollywood formulas.
steve1633
Media GOD!

Unread postby Rick R. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks TerryAnne. I see this forum doesn't get too much traffic now, but thank you for the kind answer. And you are right, we all make mistakes, but it does seem conservatives don't get the forgiveness liberals get.

And steve1633, I don't just mean Hollywood. I was taking a college course, and the professor punched the air with comments like "serves him right" the weekend his arrest happened. She also taught the history class with comments like "white people are swine" (oddly enough, she was white), but that's another story.
Rick R.
Media observer

Unread postby kobennett » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Mel Gibson won an Academy award for directing Braveheart. Gibson has always been conservative so this talk of Hollywood being against him just doesn't fly. The Passion didn't get a nomination because the voters didn't think it was worthy of one. It was a very difficult movie to watch since the violence was so realistic and intense. That wouldn't disqualify it but it didn't help it's chances either. They had no agenda. The voters get the best picture wrong a lot of the time.
kobennett
Media pundit

Return to Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost Its Mind and the Other Lost Its Nerve