Racial/Gender Based McCarthyism

order now!

Unread postby Shemp99 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:31 pm

I would just like to comment with regard to the whole Don Imus/Rutgers mess. I'm not condoning Imus' remarks towards the team at all, but I do think that Mr. Imus has been railroaded by people like Al Sharpton, who seem to have some kind of agenda other than advancing civilization forward, and by C. Vivian Stringer, who I suspect of being upset that the fact that the civil rights movement as a whole doesn't have much credibility these days. I also thought it was ironic that Natalie Cole had the nerve to say that Best New Artist winner Amy Winehouse was a bad role model when Ms. Cole herself is a recovering drug addict who at one point couldn't even take care of herself. The point I'm trying to make is is that we've become very lazy and cynical when it comes to thinking skills, crying racism and sexism at a drop of a hat without offering any real proof. In other words, if you don't subscribe to my viewpoint, you're suspect.
Shemp99
Media observer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Racial/Gender Based McCarthyism

Unread postby StrongBadJinzo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Shemp99 wrote:I would just like to comment with regard to the whole Don Imus/Rutgers mess. I'm not condoning Imus' remarks towards the team at all, but I do think that Mr. Imus has been railroaded by people like Al Sharpton, who seem to have some kind of agenda other than advancing civilization forward, and by C. Vivian Stringer, who I suspect of being upset that the fact that the civil rights movement as a whole doesn't have much credibility these days. I also thought it was ironic that Natalie Cole had the nerve to say that Best New Artist winner Amy Winehouse was a bad role model when Ms. Cole herself is a recovering drug addict who at one point couldn't even take care of herself. The point I'm trying to make is is that we've become very lazy and cynical when it comes to thinking skills, crying racism and sexism at a drop of a hat without offering any real proof. In other words, if you don't subscribe to my viewpoint, you're suspect.

You're right. I've thought this same thing for quite a while. Bernard got so upset at the Don Imus comment because he went to Rutgers. He got fired because most of the players were black, and Sharpton and Jesse Jackson pulled the race card by saying his comment was a hate crime against blacks. It was a racially and PC motivated controversy.
StrongBadJinzo
Media observer

Return to Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right: How One Side Lost Its Mind and the Other Lost Its Nerve