2016--From Relief to Optimism

Just want to rap about whatever you want and it doesn't fit any other category? Do it in here.

Unread postby fertile1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:33 pm

2016—From Relief to Optimism

The first source of relief dates back to the U.S. Constitution—Presidential Term Limits. FDR inspired the amendment; BO proves its value. The imminence of BO’s presidential (and hopefully political) demise has produced panic, or what Newt Gingrich referred today as “frenzy” to do “big” things in pursuit of a positive legacy. Ex-president elect BO is no great fan of term limits; indeed, he is reported to have told an interviewer that he would have won a third term did the limit not exist. Who said gallantry is dead? I say “reported” because such a blatant display of egotism is hard to believe. Honestly, folks, can anyone imagine any other U.S. president making such a self-congratulatory statement? If so, I’d be grateful for the source. We need not source BO’s statement that a black vote for anyone other than Hillary would be a personal insult to BO and, again, his legacy. He said that on TV. These two statements indicate a degree of childish fantasy that is truly shocking in an adult, let alone a president of anything, let alone a president of the United States. My mother put this sort of behavior rather succinctly: “Self praise stinks.”

Obama’s infantilism is contagious among his supporters of all ages, many of whom have taken to their beds, the streets, and, most embarrassingly, to radio, TV and social media with unappealing whining.

BO’s flouncing betrayal of Israel, which has been decried by Republicans and Democrats alike, is perhaps the most outrageous example of how easy it is for him to put personal pique above the best interests of the United States. I think it fair to predict that in BO’s phantom run for a third term, he’d have to do it without the Jews.

A second source of relief was Harry Reid’s decision to get out of Dodge. Reid ranks high among D.C.’s most corrupt, obstructive, and dishonest politicians, and his speeches, which have a posthumous quality in delivery, will not be missed by anyone of any party who cares about the country.

Relief returned most significantly by HRC’s unexpected defeat in the presidential election. No more having to observe Hillary waddling across speaking platforms with pumping arms portraying victory as a given. Pride surely went before a fall this time.

Up to the upset, Donald Trump was not of much interest to me. As I said to some ex-friends, “To rid politics of the Obamas and the Clintons, I’d vote for any Donald, from Trump to Duck. To the extent I thought about DT at all, I was appalled by his mistakes, which I was convinced would result in the nomination of another candidate. On the plus side, I did think that giving the voting public a clear idea of his slate of possible appointees for the SCOTUS was a constructive move.

So relief is over and it has been replaced by a sense that Trump is doing much better than most had any right to expect given some of his campaign antics. Obviously, it’s premature to make any firm evaluations, but the initial indications are most promising. Mature persons will give the guy a chance.3
fertile1
Media pundit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General topics / current events