Education in the Era of Trump

Just want to rap about whatever you want and it doesn't fit any other category? Do it in here.

Unread postby fertile1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:10 am

Teaching—Then and Now in the Era of Trump
During my brief stint teaching English and Business Communications in San Diego, I was bemused by some trends in education that I thought were endearingly curious. These are detailed in my “unauthorized autobiography,” Wet Firecrackers. In sum, my teachers consisted of recent junior college graduates who viewed travel as a substitute for knowledge and older liberals who failed to grasp that their ideology was what had turned for them the ceiling from glass to concrete.
What made the experience not only endurable, but incredibly satisfying, was the student body, that encouraged me to encapsulate my teaching methods in my first book, So You Think You Know English—a Guide to English for Those Who Think They Don’t Need One. I am so grateful to technology for the opportunity to stay in affectionate touch with them as they and I move around the globe.
The Trump Election has stirred the progressive pot to the boil, and the latest manifestations about what students and teachers are up to are downright loony.
This morning, a young (in every sense of the word) teacher spoke in defense of her school’s policy of establishing a sanctuary school for the very young. She made the amazing statement that as a teacher, her FIRST responsibility was to establish a SAFE space where the students could feel comfortable with their beliefs.
This teacher seemed unaware that the education process had started long before she undertook her FIRST responsibility as a teacher. Where did this dunce imagine “their beliefs” came from? And what process instilled in them the paranoiac notion that they required a SAFE zone and pony petting to protect them?
The outgrowth of this nonsense is now evident on the campus of my Alma Mater (Columbia) and other colleges coddling students that are supposed to be being introduced to the realities of life, including the peaceful exchange in a free society of conflicting points of view. Apparently these supposedly fully functioning adults also require sanctuary.
The third level of disappointment affects my aggressively senior third generation. Clinton advocates have, each in their own charming way, indicated that the failure of their much-anticipated opportunity to ridicule me once again for my foolish failure to embrace their champion can only be atoned for by a loss of friendship.
The sublime irony, of course, is that this call for separation, with which I have no problem whatsoever, is from life-long liberals who have always deluded themselves with the notion that the free exchange of views, political and otherwise, liberal and conservative, is a positive value and a part of their political persona.
fertile1
Media pundit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General topics / current events