In Defense of Gloating

Just want to rap about whatever you want and it doesn't fit any other category? Do it in here.

In Defense of Gloating

Unread postby fertile1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:26 am

In Defense of Gloating

As a general rule, gloating over victory is tasteless; noblesse oblige would suggest that modest silence is the classier course. After all, don’t the victors receive enough pleasure from the victory itself, and doesn’t defeat deliver sufficient pain to the losers? Expressed schadenfreude is not admirable.

But in the wake of Trump’s victory, one is tempted to ignore the etiquette as a consequence of how Trump supporters have been treated during the campaign.

It’s one thing to disagree on issues; quite another to disparage, diminish, and ridicule the opponents personally. Trump supporters, many of whom are born of a legitimate aversion to the policies of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, are treated with an astonishing blend of outrage and incredulity. “Are you crazy?” “Surely you’re not serious!” A friend reports that when referring to his vote for Trump to a guest he was feeding, the guest reacted as if she’d found a c bomb2 in her salad.

The basic reason for this immoderate behavior is that elite liberals live in a bubble in which disagreement is not only illegitimate, but inconceivable. In my many dealings with legal and theatre colleagues who had no way of knowing what my political leanings are, there was an assumption that, of course, as a thinking human being, I am ipso facto in favor of the Democrat Way of Life. A twin assumption, reinforced by virtually all media, was that Hillary would follow Barack as the night follows the day.

Ironically, it is this very smugness that has crumbled the very foundations of the Democrat Party and brought the iconic New York Times to the very precipice of apology.

So, my apologies for underestimating the level of bereavement of those who have not welcomed my post-election commentaries. My only defense is that I was severely provoked.
fertile1
Media pundit

In Defense of Gloating

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General topics / current events