Dennis Miller... a hack for the corporate cash..

Now available in paperback!

Unread postby Gil » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:51 pm

The guy, in my opinion, who is absolutely the worst comedian of all is DAVID LETTERMAN. He is a flaming jerk. I can not watch the phony.
Gil
Media pundit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Miller vs. Maher

Unread postby Meff13 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 pm

People have opinions and Dennis would agree that you have the right to them, but here's the skinny.

Either you find Dennis funny or you are too ignorant to appreciate him.
His success is limited because of the intelligence level required to enjoy his art. I don't think Dennis, in his modesty, would admit this, but it's the truth.

His ability to pull refferences from the most remote sources and paint them in such a clear picture is intriguing, even if you don't think they're "funny", although most of the time I find them both (when I can follow...haha).

Dennis laughs and seems happier and at peace with himself than most comics I see today. Most are dark or pist or just generally angry. Personally I prefer my comics to be happy, and I don't think Maher is happy unless he's groping a B list stripper at the mansion.

So if you can't understand what Dennis is saying, just admit it, don't badmouth him because you're too stupid to laugh at his jokes.
Meff13

Unread postby Red » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Always been a fan of Dennis Miller. He's actually my father-in-law. Well, not that Dennis Miller, but they're both great guys, and they both think they're comedians. As far as the Half-hour News Hour is concerned. It's a revamped Not Necessarily the News, and It's a pretty darned good show.
:) Have a nice day! :)
Red
Media pundit

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:02 am

Red wrote:As far as the Half-hour News Hour is concerned. It's a revamped Not Necessarily the News, and It's a pretty darned good show.

I remember NNTN--a classic! I loved the sight gags, and I own every Sniglets book.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Unread postby JKersting » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:25 pm

I understand the confusion on Dennis Miller. He was very, and still is, libertarian in nature. He is not happy with the Republicans, but he is insensed by the Marxist turn (Karl, not Richard) the Dems have made of late.

I also think that a lot of people do not get Miller because he makes a lot of subtle and not so subtle sub-references in his act and his shows. The HBO show was brilliant, the CNBC show was great but had the misfortune of being sandwiched between the crapfests hosted by John McEnroe and Donny Deutsch. The finale of M*A*S*H would have failed if it was sandwiched between "My Mother the Car" and "Manimal"! Not his fault.

And a lot of people prefer their humor to be along the lines of Carrot Top because it is easy and low brow. I get the gags, I did when I was SIX too.

But I want my comedians to challenge me. I like Jon Stewart and I know he is liberal....but I can see the brilliance when I can cut through the politics. I like Lewis Black too.

Dennis Miller is sharp. If you don't find him funny, fine. But give him a chance....put him on a system where you can pause while you check Wikipedia or Google as you attempt comprehension. The added bonus is that your laundry bills will go down a bit because it is likely that your drooling might cease the longer you give Miller a listen.

By that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Jay Kersting
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " Reagan
"Now more than ever before,the people are responsible for the character of their Congress.If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."Garfield
JKersting
Media GOD!

Unread postby Red » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:46 am

Jay wrote:
but he is insensed by the Marxist turn (Karl, not Richard) the Dems have made of late.

I thought you meant Groucho. :wink:
Red
Media pundit

Unread postby Red » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:51 am

Jeffreydan wrote:
Red wrote:As far as the Half-hour News Hour is concerned. It's a revamped Not Necessarily the News, and It's a pretty darned good show.

I remember NNTN--a classic! I loved the sight gags, and I own every Sniglets book.

I wish a show of that style and caliber would come back. We could certainly use more humor in politics, and not necessarily the kind we have now, where it's more hurtful than funny. I demand that we bring back Johnny Carson, Not Necessarily the News, and Bill Cosby.

BTW... what is a Sniglets book?
Red
Media pundit

Unread postby JKersting » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:12 am

Red wrote:Jay wrote:
but he is insensed by the Marxist turn (Karl, not Richard) the Dems have made of late.

I thought you meant Groucho. :wink:

I would NEVER, EVER disparage Groucho or his brothers like that. EVER!!!!
Jay Kersting
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " Reagan
"Now more than ever before,the people are responsible for the character of their Congress.If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."Garfield
JKersting
Media GOD!

Unread postby Red » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 am

:lol:
Red
Media pundit

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am

Red wrote:
Jeffreydan wrote:

I wish a show of that style and caliber would come back. We could certainly use more humor in politics, and not necessarily the kind we have now, where it's more hurtful than funny. I demand that we bring back Johnny Carson, Not Necessarily the News, and Bill Cosby.

BTW... what is a Sniglets book?

At the height of NNTN's popularity (and after) cast member Rich Hall put out a few books that, in dictionary-style, listed and defined Sniglets. Most episodes of NNTN had a brief sketch on Sniglets, which were what Hall called words that don't appear in the dictionary, but should.
Examples (which I hope I'm spelling correctly-books are in storage!):

Malibugaloo: the dance-like walk employed by barefoot beach-goers on very hot days.

Carjones: the level of bravery you only feel while driving.

Backspackle: the stuff bicyclists find all over their backs after riding in wet weather.

Razor Backus: the Mr. Howell-like facial expression used by men while shaving below the chin. (One of my favorites!)

You might find used copies on Amazon or even in a used book store if you remain curious upon your return here.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Unread postby davus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:46 am

HOLY f bomb s bomb BERNARD GOLDBERG IS POSSIBLY THE MOST RETARDED PERSON I HAVE EVER HEARD OF. I just want you to know that i found out about you 14 minutes ago and was actually so moved by retardation that i was forced to actually join your website just to release how much anger there is in my body and hatred in my body towards you. you are the end of civilization. I used to consider myself a republican but now i realize that that would mean i would be grouped in with a f bomb asshole like yourself.
davus

Unread postby Red » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:03 am

Wow... you actually know how to copy and paste. Yes, I discerned this from you posting the exact same tripe on another thread. Goodbye troll. If you learn some manners and will actually debate intelligently please come back.
Red
Media pundit

Unread postby Neptune » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:57 pm

>>He's become not so much pro-Republican/Conservative as anti-Democrat/Liberal and for very good reason. If you're dead, all the civil rights in the world don't really matter now do they?

Since when are civil rights about liberalism? They are part of the Constitution and conservatives as well as liberals, do or should feel obliged to support them. Just because the ACLU, a liberal organization, is often incorrectly identified with the entire subject of civil rights doesn't mean that rights are also. Just ask any conservative about the 2nd Ammendment.
If there's no God how come the next kleenex always pops up?
Neptune

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Neptune wrote:>>He's become not so much pro-Republican/Conservative as anti-Democrat/Liberal and for very good reason. If you're dead, all the civil rights in the world don't really matter now do they?

Since when are civil rights about liberalism? They are part of the Constitution and conservatives as well as liberals, do or should feel obliged to support them. Just because the ACLU, a liberal organization, is often incorrectly identified with the entire subject of civil rights doesn't mean that rights are also. Just ask any conservative about the 2nd Ammendment.

It's the left's claim to being the party of civil rights, for one thing.
Democrats tend to leave out their deplorable history when they talk about civil rights in their campaigns and speeches, and they equally dismiss Republicans' more tangible claim to being the party of civil rights. The black voters, being the main target of the dems' disingenuous talk, largely fall for it.

Nowadays, the left have unquestionably taken the civil rights platform too far. They are the ones fighting to assign rights to people who, as a matter of Constitutional law, aren't entitled. They are the ones who think experiencing any form of discomfort or inconvenience is a violation of someone's rights. Their actions essentially scream from the rooftops that evil people should have more rights than the model citizens upon which they like to prey.

The statement about rights not mattering if you're dead is spot-on.
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Re:

Unread postby stevenmitchell » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 am

WeaponOfMassInstruction wrote:
steve1633 wrote:NO! humor is a matter of objective fact! i've run countless tests on dennis miller's comedy stylings and show only trace amounts of funny.

seriously though, the 1/2 hour news hour didn't even make sense half the time.

And I find Jon Stewart and Bill Maher to be about as funny as a prostate exam by a fat doctor with cold fingers.

I'm a bit disappointed by the "Half Hour Comedy Hour"- I don't think it is as tough on liberals as it could be- but it's a work in progress. If the goal is to provide a "fair and balanced" antidote to Maher and Stewart, it isn't there. Yet. But then the "Half Hour News Hour" is clearly a satirical show, whereas Stewart and, especially, Maher want to be taken seriously (and, unfortunately, are by too many).

As for Miller....he's been very clear that his worldview was changed on 9/11. Prior to that, he was more libertarian- his words- than anything else. He's become not so much pro-Republican/Conservative as anti-Democrat/Liberal and for very good reason. If you're dead, all the civil rights in the world don't really matter now do they?

re: WeaponOfMassInstruction
What would someone living in Alabama know about September 11th or its affect on someone's life? It was not a real event and certainly DID NOT happen to someone living in Alabama - it was merely a television event - about as real to someone in Alabama, as a cartoon to someone in New York.
stevenmitchell

PreviousNext

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!