Dennis Miller... a hack for the corporate cash..

Now available in paperback!

Unread postby Dubya is a dick » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:57 am

Last week on Alex Bennetts' show a former writer for Dennis Miller for eight years was on talking about Millers' change politically... His name is David Feldman and basically he said that Miller recognized that he did not have the comic chops to keep up with Stewart. Maher and Carlin and realized that he could captialize and make millions by going to corporate events .. so he re-invented himself...Miller was correct,and no he is nowhere near as funny as Maher, Stewart or Carlin. I guess Fake Noise needs a little bit of humor, and sadly that is all Miller can provide. Now he does radio nights and is on the Game Show Network.. Dennis Miller is done.
Dubya is a dick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby Media Rookie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:23 pm

First of all please back up these claims with a link. Whose to say this former writer has any credibility. Kid could have been fired for being a hack. Who knows?

Second, everyone's gotta make a livin' somehow. Seems to me, whether you consider Dennis Miller a hack or not, you're jealous. Some performers prefer corporation get togethers as a good way to make some money, but have an easy schedule. Do you not know that he is also a regular on the O'Reilly Factor and his radio show airs most commonly from 10am to 1pm. "Done" is a relative term. If you don't like how someone conducts their business, just ignore them.
Media Rookie
Media watchdog!

Unread postby steve1633 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Dennis miller just isn't very funny. I don't know if he talks about semi serious stuff on his radio show or when hes on o'reilly but I saw him do a bit of comedy on 1/2 hour news hour (which was terrible) and his jokes were just weak. I'm amazed he still has a job at all, dude must be connected.
steve1633
Media GOD!

Unread postby Media Rookie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 am

steve1633 wrote:Dennis miller just isn't very funny.

To each his own. Just because you don't find humor in his work doesn't mean he's not funny. I tend to like him very much and he can't be all bad considering he's been around for 30+ years. So I'll just end that we can agree to disagree.
Media Rookie
Media watchdog!

Unread postby steve1633 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm

NO! humor is a matter of objective fact! i've run countless tests on dennis miller's comedy stylings and show only trace amounts of funny.

seriously though, the 1/2 hour news hour didn't even make sense half the time.
steve1633
Media GOD!

Unread postby WeaponOfMassInstruction » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 pm

steve1633 wrote:NO! humor is a matter of objective fact! i've run countless tests on dennis miller's comedy stylings and show only trace amounts of funny.

seriously though, the 1/2 hour news hour didn't even make sense half the time.

And I find Jon Stewart and Bill Maher to be about as funny as a prostate exam by a fat doctor with cold fingers.

I'm a bit disappointed by the "Half Hour Comedy Hour"- I don't think it is as tough on liberals as it could be- but it's a work in progress. If the goal is to provide a "fair and balanced" antidote to Maher and Stewart, it isn't there. Yet. But then the "Half Hour News Hour" is clearly a satirical show, whereas Stewart and, especially, Maher want to be taken seriously (and, unfortunately, are by too many).

As for Miller....he's been very clear that his worldview was changed on 9/11. Prior to that, he was more libertarian- his words- than anything else. He's become not so much pro-Republican/Conservative as anti-Democrat/Liberal and for very good reason. If you're dead, all the civil rights in the world don't really matter now do they?
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
William F. Buckley, Jr.
WeaponOfMassInstruction
Mod Team

Unread postby kobennett » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:47 pm

The Half Hour Comedy Hour isn't a work in progress anymore. It was cancelled by Fox several weeks ago due to poor ratings.
kobennett
Media pundit

Unread postby Media Rookie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 pm

As for Miller....he's been very clear that his worldview was changed on 9/11. Prior to that, he was more libertarian- his words- than anything else. He's become not so much pro-Republican/Conservative as anti-Democrat/Liberal and for very good reason. If you're dead, all the civil rights in the world don't really matter now do they?

Couldn't have said it better myself, obviously.

NO! humor is a matter of objective fact! i've run countless tests on dennis miller's comedy stylings and show only trace amounts of funny

Besides, Steve IMHO, comedians are about opinions. And opinions are neither true nor false, just opinions.
Media Rookie
Media watchdog!

Unread postby WeaponOfMassInstruction » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:21 pm

kobennett wrote:The Half Hour Comedy Hour isn't a work in progress anymore. It was cancelled by Fox several weeks ago due to poor ratings.

Really?

I could have sworn that Rush Limbaugh mentioned within the last week or two that He'd shot some new vignettes for the show when he was on vacation recently.

I've always wondered if FNC offered Miller his own version of "The Daily Show" and Miller turned it down, for whatever reason. If he thought that, by declining, he could keep at least partially in the good graces of the California Liberal Showboz set, well, that obviously hasn't worked out so well.
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."
William F. Buckley, Jr.
WeaponOfMassInstruction
Mod Team

Unread postby kobennett » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:29 pm

Here's the story at mediabistro.com

As for Miller falling out of favor he still appears regularly on Stewart's show and The Tonight Show. I'm not sure what your basing your comments about him falling out of favor on.

Tuesday, Aug 14
Half Hour News Hour Shelved
First on TVNewser: In a memo to senior producers this afternoon, FNC's SVP of programming, Bill Shine announced the network "will not continue the Half Hour News Hour beyond its current 15 episode run." Shine did leave the door open, however: "we are considering ways to retool the show for future scheduling needs."
kobennett
Media pundit

Unread postby Gadfly » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:02 am

steve1633 wrote:NO! humor is a matter of objective fact! i've run countless tests on dennis miller's comedy stylings and show only trace amounts of funny.

Dennis Miller reminds me of a guy trying to hit a bullseye, sometimes his humor scores a hit and other times he misses. With me it's about 1 or 2 hits to every 5 misses.
A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets

--Arthur C. Clarke
Gadfly
Media observer

Unread postby ScottT » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Miller is first-rate. He is a "wordsmith", possibly the best one since Carlin. His HBO show, which ran from the mid to late 90's was one of the funniest half hours on television.

It's always interesting to hear liberals scream about how Miller "sucks" just because he's fought the good fight since 9/11 and they haven't. If he was a moonbat leftist like Bill Maher, they'd be lining up to kiss his feet & tell the world how hilarious, clever, and "relevant" he is. I'm sure these same people probably think that Jeanine Gerofalo is the greatest thing since indoor toilets.

As Miller himself would say, "I see through these people like used Neutrogena". :lol:

BTW, Weapon is correct: Miller was more libertarian than liberal......and now he's just a lot more anti-Democrat than he is pro-Republican. And certainly for good reason. But he's certainly no idealogue.

That doesn't matter to the kooky left, though. He voted for Bush, supports the war on terror, and is pro-military. That makes him a "radical, extremist, right-wing sellout who isn't funny".

You crazed leftists read like a book! :roll:
ScottT
Media GOD!

Unread postby steve1633 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:58 pm

honestly the only problem i have with dennis miller is that he lacks comedic timing in my opinion. he tells his joke with a really awkward cadence that feels like him not knowing his act well at all.
steve1633
Media GOD!

Unread postby Gadfly » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:37 am

ScottT wrote:You crazed leftists read like a book! :roll:

Not necessarily dude. Just because you're not a fan of someone doesn't make you a 'crazed leftist' or what have you. I'm an Independent Conservative who just doesn't think Miller is that great. I agree though that Miller is despised by the Left for his viewpoints as is anyone else who espouses common sense.
A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets

--Arthur C. Clarke
Gadfly
Media observer

Unread postby ScottT » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Fair enough, Gadfly. I have no reason to not take your word for that. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the overwhelming MAJORITY of those who are "critics" of Miller's humor are driven by hard ideology and "Bush Derangement Syndrome". Based on the positions I've heard most of these people take, that has shown to be the case.
ScottT
Media GOD!

Next

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!