This is Crazy!

Now available in paperback!

This is Crazy!

Unread postby TheKid » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 pm

This is crazy. Everyone is fighting over all kinds of things from music artists, to video games, even to a show on comedy central where the host makes fun of headstrong republicans. Arent the REAL people who are making America "screwed up" the heads of the tobacco companies who gain a large profit off of poisoning people, the fast food chains who make food that is steadily making Americans even fatter, or the beer and alcoholic beverage industry that makes people fat and poisoned? I put great emphisis on the alcohol because not only does it hurt the consumer but potentially the people around that person such as DWI or drunk child abusers, and it can turn perfectly normal and kind natured people into monsters.


On another topic concerning those rappers and trash TV and radio. IF you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO WATCH/LISTEN TO IT! If you think that Marshall Bruce Mathers III(eminem), Christopher Brian Bridges(Ludacris), or Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.(Snoop Dogg) is corruping the youth of America than your kids dont have to listen to it. If you think that Howard Stern is too shocking you dont have to tune to channel 100 or 101 on a Sirius radio to listen and be appauled. If you think Jerry Springer's show is a harm to society dont watch it, even though its a fun show to watch. If you think the people appearing on the Jerry Springer show or on Howard Stern are treated poorly, remember this: they willingly went on the show and are not forced to do anything.

Thank you for reading my post, and have a nice day
TheKid
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:16 pm

This is Crazy!

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: This is Crazy!

Unread postby MrSinatra » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:04 pm

TheKid wrote:This is crazy. Everyone is fighting over all kinds of things from music artists, to video games, even to a show on comedy central where the host makes fun of headstrong republicans. Arent the REAL people who are making America "screwed up" the heads of the tobacco companies who gain a large profit off of poisoning people, the fast food chains who make food that is steadily making Americans even fatter, or the beer and alcoholic beverage industry that makes people fat and poisoned? I put great emphisis on the alcohol because not only does it hurt the consumer but potentially the people around that person such as DWI or drunk child abusers, and it can turn perfectly normal and kind natured people into monsters.


what are you, a pro prohibitionist?

sorry, alcohol is not to blame... it gets drank far more often with nothing bad happening then something bad happening. same with guns, tobacco, etc...

people are free to make choices that may not be good, and i won't leave it up for you to decide that for me.

everyones free to criticize of course, but i am very libertarian when it comes to restrictions.

TheKid wrote:On another topic concerning those rappers and trash TV and radio. IF you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO WATCH/LISTEN TO IT! If you think that Marshall Bruce Mathers III(eminem), Christopher Brian Bridges(Ludacris), or Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.(Snoop Dogg) is corruping the youth of America than your kids dont have to listen to it.


funny how you say that, but think banning fast food is a ok.

TheKid wrote:If you think that Howard Stern is too shocking you dont have to tune to channel 100 or 101 on a Sirius radio to listen and be appauled. If you think Jerry Springer's show is a harm to society dont watch it, even though its a fun show to watch. If you think the people appearing on the Jerry Springer show or on Howard Stern are treated poorly, remember this: they willingly went on the show and are not forced to do anything.

Thank you for reading my post, and have a nice day


i appreciate the civil tone.

having said that, just as we are free to act as we please, we are also free to criticize as we please.

what i would like to see is technology solve these issues for us.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
User avatar
MrSinatra
Mod Team
 
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:24 am
Location: 6' under

Re: This is Crazy!

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:06 pm

TheKid wrote:On another topic concerning those rappers and trash TV and radio. IF you dont like it YOU DONT HAVE TO WATCH/LISTEN TO IT! If you think that Marshall Bruce Mathers III(eminem), Christopher Brian Bridges(Ludacris), or Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.(Snoop Dogg) is corruping the youth of America than your kids dont have to listen to it. If you think that Howard Stern is too shocking you dont have to tune to channel 100 or 101 on a Sirius radio to listen and be appauled. If you think Jerry Springer's show is a harm to society dont watch it, even though its a fun show to watch. If you think the people appearing on the Jerry Springer show or on Howard Stern are treated poorly, remember this: they willingly went on the show and are not forced to do anything.

Bernie's new book (Crazies/Wimps) has a chapter called "Change the Channel," and I'd like to use its general point here as I create a slightly different scenario.
Imagine an executive from one of the big media companies and you are having a conversation, and he tells you about a new channel he'll be launching soon. It will potentially be seen by millions of cable subscribers, and it's a year-round broadcast of various violent dramatizations. People who tune in will see rapes, Klan lynchings, child abuses, and carjackings of elderly women among the many assorted depictions.
The executive asks you if you like the idea. You tell him either (A) it sounds great, or (B) it sounds pretty vile. If you answer (A) you're quite possibly a sick individual; (B) you're told by him if you or anyone else don't like it you can change the channel.

Point is, it's not just about what any one individual doesn't find entertaining. Sometimes it's genuinely vile stuff that might be out of place in a civilized, non-violent society. Changing the channel won't make it less putrid, and giving it legitimacy only adds to a culture that is already too sordid.
For the executive to tell you to change the channel when that wasn't the point you were making is a cop-out. It sounds like a snotty attempt to make it personal when it never was.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: San Diego, CA.


Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron