To the top of the list....Bill Maher?

Now available in paperback!

Unread postby dashfield » Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm

There are some so-called friends of mine who continue to watch Bill Maher on HBO. He is on with a regular panel of guests, and I am always amazed at the things he says and gets away with. I think he is incredibly hateful, and yet my liberal friends think he is "wonderfully funny," and "has such an insight into the world of politics." I have to then hold my tongue because I know if I truly said what I feel, I would never be welcomed in their homes again.

Would like to hear what you all think. :?:
dashfield

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby Cortese » Mon May 07, 2007 8:16 pm

I personally have never watched him before because he's on HBO and I don't have any premium cable channels. But he has been a guest on the O'Reilly Factor.
Life-long fan of the Military/Industrial/Janitorial/Custodial/Welfare-State/Pork-Laden/Mortgage & Bank Bailout Complex
Cortese
Media GOD!

Debate + actors

Unread postby jjomalle » Thu May 10, 2007 2:05 am

I was watching "Real Time with Bill Maher" tonight and noticed something for the first time (or should i say it finally clicked). First I want to say though that while I don't agree with Maher, he does know his stuff, the way he presents it leaves something to be desired but that is a different subject and can be said for lots of people on both sides of the aisle.
But, what I noticed was that on this night there was Sean Penn, Gary Shandling (spelling?) and Harold Ford Jr. (former congressman or senator, I forget which). No republicans, although Harold Ford was talking dangerously close to being one and was sounding very intelligent. But what I noticed was that Maher seems to use the actors/actresses on his show to appeal to us "little people" who just can't understand what they are talking about. I mean the way that the two actors were talking was so strange that I couldn't follow. But I'm sure that if I had no idea what was going on in the world and/or politics I would say "hey that makes sense, "I HATE REPUBLICANS" or something like that.
Bill Maher is dangerous because he knows what message he wants to get out, and he knows that by dumbing it down through actors who talk like they know what they are saying, even if they don't, he gets his message to a larger audience than one that actually follows the news.
jjomalle

Unread postby Cortese » Thu May 10, 2007 4:45 am

I've heard Harold Ford Jr. speak before and I agree, he sounds like a very logical, intelligent person.
Life-long fan of the Military/Industrial/Janitorial/Custodial/Welfare-State/Pork-Laden/Mortgage & Bank Bailout Complex
Cortese
Media GOD!

Unread postby John Gilchrist Lodge » Thu May 10, 2007 10:53 am

I believe if BM was more in the spotlight, then he'd certainly deserve to be on Bernie's list. Seeing that he's been relegated to the scrap heap of cable tv d00m, he's (thankfully) not able to infect more minds with his bunk.
Go Cards!!!!
John Gilchrist Lodge
Media observer

Unread postby JKersting » Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 am

Cortese wrote:I've heard Harold Ford Jr. speak before and I agree, he sounds like a very logical, intelligent person.

For the record, Harold Ford, Jr., WAS a Congressman from Memphis, TN. He spoke at my college graduation. He speaks out of both sides of his mouth....like MOST politicians.

I have no respect for him based on how he conducted himself in his run for Senate last year. Lies, lies, lies, lies, distortions, lies, lies, damned lies, more distortions, accusations without proof, trying to play victim, etc. No respect for him at all. In fact, I would interject comments during his appearances on the morning show that I used to work on WHILE he was on the show. Never inaccurate, just to HIGHLIGHT his lies, etc.

If he remembers me, he doesn't think much of me either. And that is fine.
Jay Kersting
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " Reagan
"Now more than ever before,the people are responsible for the character of their Congress.If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."Garfield
JKersting
Media GOD!

Unread postby Gadfly » Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 am

This is coming from an Independent. I kinda-sorta liked Maher when he had his program 'Politically Incorrect' on television some years ago - at first! But the more I watched the more I realized what an arrogant arse this guy was. Funny, I didn't see it at first, it just took a few weeks of watching off and on to see the smug jerk for what he was, a smug jerk!

What really did it for me though was a statement he made at the end of the Gore-Bush election and the 'hanging chad' fiasco. He made a comment about Katherine Harris saying that America wished OJ Simpson had killed her. That's what did it for me. After that just the sight of Maher's face was enough to make me wish I'd had a 12-gauge handy to blast my TV set to smithereens with.

BTW if anyone's interested, here's what Maher really said about Katherine Harris...

http://www.mediaresearch.org/realitycheck/2000/20001201.asp
A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets

--Arthur C. Clarke
Gadfly
Media observer

Unread postby Astral » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't care how many of you hate Bill Maher, he doesn't say things anywhere even CLOSE to as hateful and completely untruthful as Anne Coulter does. If Anne is not #1 on this list, the book is a joke. When the left leaning people like Maher and Stewart speak, most of what they say is at least based on truth. The Republicans just get mad because they don't like to hear the truth. Conversely, when Coulter speaks, there is absolutely nothing intelligent, provocative or insightful about it. It's just 100% pure idiotic hate speech.

Example, what intelligent point is Coulter making when she calls Obama "a 2nd rate Hitler" and saying that he is literally NO DIFFERENT than Adolf Hitler??!! Or how about calling John Edwards a "faggot" (John is a noble and good man regardless of what you think of his politics and he has done a HELL of a lot more for the communities than Coulter ever will)

Most of what Maher and Stewart say IS funny because it is true. Coulter and Rush Limbaugh say things JUST for the sake of stirring stuff up even when most of the time it's complete lies.

Mr. Goldberg has no credibility in my eyes for making a list like this because he clearly is MUCH harder on the left than the right. There's no doubt that everyone on Fox except for Colmes is anti-Democrat.
I am as moderate as one can be. I like aspects of both parties and think it's dumb that we're expected to go one way or the other with pre-packaged politicians.
Astral
Media observer

Unread postby Jeffreydan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Two flaws, Astral:

1) You might consider looking at some of the in-court conduct by your noble and good man, and the widespread consequences to the medical profession caused by Edwards et al, before you make such a conclusion.

2) You might also consider Edwards' shallow campaign of referring to his father's blue-collar status to appear a "man of the people." If you are truly a worthy candidate, your old man's tax bracket is meaningless. (Zell Miller lived in absolute squalor as a small child, Swimmer Kennedy had more money as a toddler than my immediate family will ever see in a lifetime, and yet both of them were/are well-known senators.) I want to know what a candidate plans to do for (or to) America as POTUS, why said plan is justified, and legitimate, honest data to prove it.
If you think empty, vain talk about one's modest origins is sufficient to earn election, then I can't help you. But if you want more from a campaign, you happen to agree with Ann Coulter:
http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/art ... article=22
Perhaps your dislike for Coulter's venom has precluded you from recognizing the way Edwards has screwed up America, and acknowledging that Ted Rall and Swimmer Kennedy make Coulter look like Strawberry Shortcake.
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because then it's going to be up all night."
Jeffreydan
Media GOD!

Mahler...

Unread postby mskimcfa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

Bill Mahler thinks he sooooo smart. You know I really don't like guys who point out other people's faults but has no real, viable solutions to the issues that they raise.

Any idiot off the street can do what Mahler does but it takes people with courage to solve problems.
mskimcfa

Re: Mahler...

Unread postby JKersting » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:00 pm

mskimcfa wrote:Bill Mahler thinks he sooooo smart. You know I really don't like guys who point out other people's faults but has no real, viable solutions to the issues that they raise.

Any idiot off the street can do what Mahler does but it takes people with courage to solve problems.

Very true. Often times on my morning show, I tell people "Here is how we solve......." But then I quickly add, "wasn't that easy. Now find a way to pay for it." But Maher doesn't even get to the solution part of things. He just tears things down.

In other words, he is a waste of space and should repay all of us for the carbon he is putting into the air with his tripe.
Jay Kersting
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " Reagan
"Now more than ever before,the people are responsible for the character of their Congress.If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."Garfield
JKersting
Media GOD!

Re: To the top of the list....Bill Maher?

Unread postby andeemac » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 am

What has Bill Maher done compared to this lot (apart from making a funny Movie)

Joe Cassano, Richard Fuld, Christopher Cox, Alan Greenspan, Phil Gramm
Ian McCarthy, Angelo Mozilo, James Canye, Franklin Raines,

Here is 9 Men who Have screwed up AMERICA :clap:
Dont you think ???????????/ All you Republicans

You can keep your 110, Nine of your friends have done a splendid Job :clap:
andeemac
Media pundit

Unread postby MrSinatra » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:00 pm

u know, a list of names isn't very compelling when they aren't household names...

and esp when one is liberal frank raines.

did u post this elsewhere? don't doublepost.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby PhlangeWelder » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I would agree if only Keith Olbermann didn't exist. I have never heard such vitriol spewed over the air waves. At least Bill is relegated to HBO. "Overbite" is regarded as a legitimate commentator and sometimes anchor. His hatred for Bush is unparalleled, and he makes no bones about it. You would think that there are no horrible liberals out there. Josef Stalin would be proud. :roll:
PhlangeWelder

Unread postby kevininkanada » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Bill Maher is a spiteful hate monger who uses mindless Hollywood types to prop up his diatribes. He would never have Rush, Hannity or Bernie on his program because they would massacre him. I just don't understand why he gets the hot chicks. They all must be mindless Democrats who get turned on by big words.
kevininkanada

Next

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!