Nomination for the List

Now available in paperback!

Nomination for the List

Unread postby Little Mac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm

I'd like to propose an addition to the list - Army Brass. Let me tell you a story. I have a son, a West Point grad, who is a a company commander (rank of captain) in an Army infantry division. At their post, they have thousands of 18-25 year old males, and a DUI problem. That shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone. But the Army blames a soldier's DUI on the company commander, battalion commander, and brigade commander. Here's the process - immediately after their arrest by the local police, the soldier has to be picked-up by Army MP's. The MP's don't have anywhere to lock anyone up (?), so within two hours the soldier's company commander, or the company's first sergeant (senior NCO) has to pick them up from the MP station. So, within three or four hours after arrest, they're back in the barracks, sleeping in their own bed. On the other hand, the company commander and first sergeant have to develop a briefing for their superiors as to how they failed, and what they are going to do to prevent this from happening again.

My son's position is that the soldier should be left in lockup by the local police for a couple of days - docking his leave pay for day's missed from work. That might make them think before doing this again. It would also help for the brass to get their heads out of the sand, and accept the fact that with 15,000+ young people on the post, DUI's will happen.

By the way, before soldiers are dismissed on Friday's, or before a holiday, they have to receive a "safety briefing" from their company commander. In that briefing, he/she has to tell them not to drink and drive, among other things. Before holidays, the company's leadership has to inspect every soldier's personal vehicle to make sure that they pass a safety inspection and are safe to drive. These soldiers are the same people that we expect to make life or death decisions on the battlefield.

As a postscript, I'd like to add that the Army can't keep junior officers (lieutenants and captains). The above story is one of the reasons. At one time, the promotion rate from captain to major was 50%. It's now 95%+, because captains aren't staying around to be promoted. The buzz is that if you're a captain, the only way to not make major is if you have a court martial on your record....
Little Mac

Nomination for the List

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!