the real hero in present-day America

Now available in paperback!

Unread postby Tiffany » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:43 pm

You know, I used to think that everyone was a hero in the drive-thru. I worked at a video store and as long as someone was driving through--in their car, far away from me, where my boss couldn't reach them, and where they could speed easily and cleanly away after being unspeakably rude--that person felt they could guiltlessly do or say whatever they felt was necessary.

But now that I'm a little older, I've realized: Everyone's a hero on the internet!

Of course! Anyone can write in any mean little tidbit they feel like writing and they're safely away from anyone who can do anything about it. I was reading some random posts earlier and I commend Mr. Sinatra for sticking to his guns (That American tax-payer lady was a real wackjob, eh?). If I had the job of being a moderator, I think my head would explode.

How nice that in this information age, we've gained access to all kinds of pertinent information right when we need it. It's helped us in so many ways, you can't even begin to count them. But it's also given that arrogant, belligerent, self-righteous drive-thru hero one more avenue of abuse.

So Bernard Goldberg wrote a book, right? I liked it. You don't have to. No one ever said you had to. If you hated it, write your own book, see if you can publish it, correct whatever grave mistake you think this man has made.

But for God's sake, don't get on here and say things you would never have the nerve to say to someone's face.

It's just a book and a website, kids. It's not the end of the world. Lay off the melodrama, and take a second to realize--before you commit yourself to hating some elusive, Republican, post-writer that you can't even see--that anyone could be reading this.

The least you can do is have the tiniest bit of respect for the opinions of others. And if not, go away. Bumper stickers can be trite, but at times all too true. Mean people suck. :wink:

Tiffany
"If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water."
Tiffany
Mod Team

Sponsor

Sponsor

Unread postby gore gone wild » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:29 am

Hey Tiff ... in record time you've gained my respect. How is it Midwestern kids have become so worldly wise? not to mention, wryly amusing? It seems I've been gone from Indiana (Culver) far too long.

Loved the bit on Don, was it? ... the local gun dealer. Man oh man, that had me howling. You sound like a fine young woman. God's best, always.
gore gone wild
Media observer

Unread postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Why thank you! God's best to you, too.

Tiffany
"If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water."
Tiffany
Mod Team

Unread postby Bernie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Tiffany,

Thank you very much.
Bernie
Site Owner

Unread postby iloveamericagirl » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:05 pm

I'm new to this website. Enjoy the remarks. Bernie Goldberg is a hero. He is brave enough to write books that tell the truth. I just finished reading his latest book, "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America". I love it. I plan to buy several more copies to send family and friends.
Bernie for President in '08!
iloveamericagirl

Unread postby opinionated1 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Yeah. And, to me, anyway, he's not biased, either. If he was a liberal, chances are great that the list would only consist of Republicans/Conservatives. He does include some Republicans, some of whom, I disagree with their being added to the list. But he makes it clear that this is HIS list, not mine, not yours, nobody but his. The difference is that his list is published. He even suggests that if we want to, we make our own lists. I'm currently working on mine. So far, it's just Michael Moore (who I am ashamed to share a last name), Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi (who taught her daughter how to defame Christians with the "documentary" "Friends of God", and let protesters deface the Capitol building), the guy who created "American Idol" (for promoting the vapid, hollow beliefs that you can only become famous if you look good), and Sacha Baron Cohen (creator of Ali G and Borat). :minigun:
I like music. Got a problem with that?
opinionated1
Media observer

The necessity for Respect...

Unread postby Bob Gorman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Tiffany,
I enjoyed your post about the need for respect and tolerance of those who disagree us. Respect was the very 1st topic on my blog (http://blog.kncell.org/2007/06/01/respe ... ls-counts/).

Also, I call out the lack of respect as Step 1 in The Violence Escalation Chain (see:http://www.kncell.org/VIPC.html).
Every time there's another Columbine, or Virginia Tech, or many other instances of violence, and there will be more, the media treats these events as if they simply come from nowhere. They do not. They are both predictable and preventable. I sent my reference to The Violence Escalation Chain, to various media outlets, but so far no responses.
Bob
'I am only one; but I am still one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.'
-- Helen Keller
http://blog.KnCell.org
Bob Gorman

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!