My List

Now available in paperback!

My List

Unread postby Abby » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Dear Mr. Goldberg,

My name is Abby, and I'm a 20 year old college sophomore at the University of Indianapolis, and I'm studying music and journalism. I just finished reading "110 People Who are Screwing Up America", and I have to say, I really enjoyed it and agreed with about 98% of what you had to say! I'm writing this post in response to your "A note to you, the reader" section of the book, where you encouraged us to tell you who would be on our list, if we had one. Mine's relatively short, but I figured I might as well share. Here are some people I think are screwing up America:

Tom Cruise
This man is a moronic know-it-all. During an interview, he basically stated that Post Partum Depression isn't real, that it's some sort of medical myth, and that it just must be all in a woman's head if she's got the post-baby blues. Well, when his interviewer (and I apologize, I don't recall who that was) called him on it, telling him that studies have proven that PPD is indeed a real medical condition, he replied with, "Look-- you don't know the history of pyschiatry. I do." Really? Right, sure. Whatever. And now he's the poster child for Scientology, which doesn't bode well for Scientology. Tom Cruise strikes me as an arrogant idiot who thinks he knows everything, when really, he's far from it.

Ann Coulter
This woman is vicious. I read somewhere that she told a disabled Vietnam veteran that people like him are messing up the country. Well, excuse him for doing what most of us are not brave enough to be willing to do--fight a war, which is one of the most traumatizing experiences a person can go through. (I heard plenty of WW2 stories from my grandfather, who was a WW2 veteran, so I don't think that's a far-fetched assumption I just made.) Excuse that gentleman for going through that! Excuse him for enlisting or possibly being drafted! Excuse him for coming back to the U.S. injured and needing a wheelchair, an incident that he did NOT choose to have happen to him! She also has a book out called "How to Talk to a Liberal if You Must". Right, Ann--they're idiots because they think differently than you! I'm a Centrist, and I can't stand her! What must her fellow Rightists think?

Reverend Jeremiah Wright
This man is one of those black racially divisive people. I saw on TV an exerpt of a sermon he made where he ranted and raved about how whites still oppress blacks (like it's still the '60s), and he talked about how Hilary Clinton "represents the rich, white people" and that, unlike Barack Obama, "she doesn't know what it's like to be called a n*****." Well, maybe not, but neither does Barack, who, although he had a black Kenyan father, had a white mother from Kansas. I read a biography book about Obama, and nowhere in there was it said that he'd been called a n***** to his face. If he had, surely that would have been something worth mentioning? Reverend Wright also ranted about how AIDS was a government conspiracy to harm minorities and gays, how America deserved 9/11, and that "instead of God Bless America, it should be God Damn America". And what was even sadder than hearing such words was seeing and hearing the plaudits he was receiving from his predominantly black audience. Now, I believe Barack when he says that he does not share Rev. Wright's views. (I mean, why would he when he is clearly a very patriotic man, and moreover, because his own mother was white?) But the fact that he was tied to such a hateful, bitter, irrational, racist-against-whites man (the former pastor of Obama's Methodist church in Chicago) who is permanently stuck in pre-Civil Rights America and is anti-American, can do no good for his campaign, despite the fact that Barack has cut ties with him. If that was just one sermon, I shudder to think what the others have been like! This man appears to have made a career out of spreading racial tension between blacks and whites with his backward views on interracial relations and tension between politicians and their constituents in regards to his views on AIDS and 9/11. He just recently retired, so hopefully by fading into retirement, he'll fade into obscurity and stop screwing up America!

Reverend Fred Phelps
For all the reasons you mentioned in your book--because this man calls himself a man of God, but all he's doing is spreading hatred, bigotry, and intolerance. This dispicable b*stard would consider some of my friends and my own uncle not human beings but nothing more than worthless f*gs who are going to hell.
"All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost."~J.R.R. Tolkien
Abby

My List

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to 110 People who are Screwing up America... and Al Franken is number 37!