Despising The Wealthy

Cite your own examples of news slant, right and left. Contribute your own take on the news.

Despising The Wealthy

Unread postby Idaho » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm

DO YOU DESPISE WEALTHY AMERICANS? My career in business jet sales has provided a unique window on our society. I have became acquainted with more high net worth individuals, power brokers and corporate titans than most Americans. And this I have observed; some of these folks gained their wealth, power and influence surreptitiously, some did nothing to earn their wealth, some use their wealth exclusively for self-indulgence, and others have no respect for the power at their disposal. If this sounds ominous, let me also say that all of these people combined account for less than ten percent of those privileged and successful folks I have met. The other ninety percent are decent, ethical, compassionate, courageous, hard-working, red-blooded Americans. Do these decent folks own larger homes, drive more expensive cars, and generally live a more comfortable lifestyle? Of course they do but is that reason enough to vilify them for their success? I could argue that anyone who receives a welfare check or food stamps is a freeloader and deserves our enmity because we know there are some who have defrauded and/or abused our nation's compassion. I don't despise all teachers because I know at least ten percent have no business in a classroom. I don't despise all union members because I know at least ten percent strive to do as little as possible. I don't despise all Catholic priests because I know a few have betrayed their vows. Is it beginning to sink in? The bullies have always been with us and will be forever -- it is a fact of life. You may not have received a fair chance, or you may have been some kind of victim, or you may have made poor choices for yourself, but don't let your envy, bitterness, disappointments and self-pity contaminate your respect and admiration for the responsibly successful among us. Because of them, this nation has achieved a higher standard of living for more of its citizens and for a longer period of time than any other society in recorded history.
Idaho

Despising The Wealthy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to More Bias and Arrogance