Penn State's cluelessness towards Vets

Cite your own examples of news slant, right and left. Contribute your own take on the news.

Unread postby MrSinatra » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 am

we got a lot of vets here, so here's one that should enrage you...

penn state is into diversity, basically of sex, skin color, and ethnicity. intellectual diversity? no. and if you're a vet, you are not the kind of diversity they are looking for. you will be stereotyped and pigeonholed, just as you were in 1969 b/c they still think the same things. you're a barbaric baby killer. its the campus conventional wisdom.

watch this insane video, made by PSU for PSU:

http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/caps/wsb/vignette_b.html

here are some reactions in the email thread i got that i'll post anonymously:

on 2/26/09 Xxxx wrote:

My sentiments EXACTLY. If it were any other aforementioned ethnic group, not only would no one have ever even conceived of the idea, but they would never in a million years have had the audacity to suggest making the video.

This portrays vets as dishonorable, dishonest, spiteful, immature, lacking any control of themselves, ill-tempered, indignant, self-righteous, ungrateful, and not to mention as unable to handle academic work. When in fact, it's far less likely that it be the returning veteran who befits such stereotypes. ;)

Before you guys go public in speaking out against this, someone capture the audio and video before PSU takes it down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:33:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Video link

I am outraged. What if vet was replaced with Black, Indian, Gay or even Muslim. Those groups would be going crazy. I think a formal and VERY public apology should be issued not only from the department but from the university both in print media and a television add. I also think that the university should compensate the offended vets by donating money and resources to the education of ALL PSU teachers and TA's on how to deal with being more considerate to the veteran community.
If they had said "Black" student you know damn good and well someone would loose a job. I think nothing less should be acceptable, who ever approved this piece should be fired.
This should be sent to a national affiliate news station asap and that it be copied right away. I can not believe someone thought this was a good idea.

On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:41 PM, Xxxx Xxxxx wrote:

Here's a suggestion:
We write a letter as an organization, stating that the video should be taken down immediately and the person who approved it should personally apologize. And that, if this isn't done, the video will go to the "real" media in Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc. Maybe even gather signatures petition-style.

Too extreme? Not enough? Thoughts?
~Xxxx

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 10:18 AM, Xxxx Xxxx <xxxxxxx@psu.edu> wrote:

This is the link we were talking about last night in the meeting... I'm not sure if there are any actions being taken, I know it has come up in my Vets class, and those at the meeting expressed some rage. If you have more questions about it, or its content shoot me an email

sounds to me like Penn State needs some "sensitivity training" and "re-education."

and its not lost on me that its a WHITE, MALE, CHRISTIAN [looking] guy as the dangrous vet, and the "victim" is a female.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Penn State's cluelessness towards Vets

Unread postby MrSinatra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 am

PSU took down the link i posted, but i have a direct link here:

http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/caps/wsb/ ... netteD.swf

and i have local copies too, so them taking it down won't help them.

no responses, interest for this?
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

steve1633 wrote:if you havent realized yet that pp posts offer little in the way of intelligent discourse then youre dumber than i suspected, if its just easier to argue with someone like her then ya go ahead keep it up.
MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 am

MrSinatra wrote:PSU took down the link i posted, but i have a direct link here:

and i have local copies too, so them taking it down won't help them.

no responses, interest for this?

Sorry, I didn't see this right away...

But I can't believe Penn State. I mean, a lot of times I can't believe something Purdue does, but this is beyond any idiotic thing I've heard of them doing.

Whenever I used to see Penn State in sports of commercials during Big Ten games, anything like that, I'd think of Joe Pa, classy football uniforms, their history, things like that, but since that guy on their newspaper... Brandon Peach, was it? and now this, it's just not the same.

Are you a person who has deep alma mater feelings, so does this upset you on a different level? Or does it just anger you in general and you happened to've gone there?

And why, just like they did with the Peach kid, do they try to get rid of the evidence of these things like people aren't going to know?

If you know it's so bad that you have to get rid of it (and how could you not expect these visceral reactions?) then why put it up in the first place?

I mean, who's in charge here? Who's responsible? Isn't there one person with common sense babysitting these people? :?
"If it's drowning you're after, don't torment yourself with shallow water."
Tiffany
Mod Team

Unread postby MrSinatra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 am

fyi, i'm going on a mini vacation, so hold down the fort while i'm away...

having said that, the two psu situations are separate, yet its the overall culture and attitude here that allows things like this.

i'm a vet who went there, and all in all, i wish i had gone to a snobby smaller private school instead. but i feel as much a penn stater as anyone else, i just don't see it with rose colored glasses, i see it for what it actually is, and i don't mind sticking a finger in their eye.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:12 am

Consider the fort held down.

And also, fairly subtle, but there...

Did you notice that when he says, "You've made it clear how you feel about the war and you're taking it out on me..." (or close to that) that she doesn't deny how she feels about the war or the idea that he might be aware of how she feels about it? All she does is say that her personal feelings aren't a factor?

Maybe some are more conscious of it, but I don't know how many of my college professors stated specifically that we would NOT be aware of their political views, that they didn't want to discuss it, and it would not be part of our class, etc.

The only one I had that made his views clear very often was a philosophy prof, and I mean, what did I expect?

But many, many others (including a different phil prof, ironically) were like, "You guys will never be aware of my political views. They are totally irrelevant to this course."

So why was that not portrayed in the video? In a legit situation, should not the answer have been, "Hey kid, you have NO IDEA how I feel about the war," instead of, "My personal feelings are irrelevant?"

And also I thought it was HILARIOUS that they chose that route to go with the whole exercise, b/c imo, one of the LAST people who would showcase a victim mentality is a vet. I'd say they're about the least likely victims/martyrs around. They barely even take compliments or implications of heroism well. They're always saying things like, "I appreciate what you said, but that's my job, that's what they pay me to do, that's what I'm trained to do, the same way you do your job."

Seriously. This is so stupid. :roll:
Tiffany
Mod Team

Unread postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:15 am

But on a lighter note, have fun on your vacation. :D

A mini vacay is still a vacay. :wink:
Tiffany
Mod Team

Unread postby TerryAnne » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:53 pm

The links aren't working. You guys have piqued my interest now.
Is a proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. :twisted:
TerryAnne
Media GOD!

Unread postby MrSinatra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm

TerryAnne wrote:The links aren't working. You guys have piqued my interest now.

this link does still work:

try hovering over he video and clicking th play button several times. it did work for me.
SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

MrSinatra
Mod Team

Unread postby MrSinatra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:51 pm

SYF Rocks!
www.LION-Radio.org

MrSinatra
Mod Team

Return to More Bias and Arrogance